How Long Do You Give Your Cakes To...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm by cakesnglass

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 11:05am
post #1 of 7

SETTLE ??

Hi Cakers!

I am just curious how long you allow your cakes to settle before icing....
If you say "overnight", can you define by hours what you mean??...

Thank You,

Michael

6 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 7

I'll bake in the am, wrap in plastic wrap, leave on the counter overnight then, the next day-torte, dam and fill, rewrap with plastic wrap-back on the counter for the night and then trim any bulges and ice and/or cover with fondant the next day. I always let them settle at least 24 hours after being filled.

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

I'll bake in the am, wrap in plastic wrap, leave on the counter overnight then, the next day-torte, dam and fill, rewrap with plastic wrap-back on the counter for the night and then trim any bulges and ice and/or cover with fondant the next day. I always let them settle at least 24 hours after being filled.

I was wondering about this too. Great advice -- Thanks!

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 7

May I ask what procedure you use when using a filling that requires frig.? I see many decorators use Rich's whip cream with added flavorings. I have not had success with this procedure it taste wonderful and is light and fluffy but once I allow it to sit in the cake that I cut it the next day it is bubbly and deflated. I do live in a very humid climate and refrigerate this type of cake, but still do not like the results the next day.? (I use buttercream exterior) Would love a creamy filling to counter balance the sweetness of buttercream but have not had good results.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnglass

May I ask what procedure you use when using a filling that requires frig.? I see many decorators use Rich's whip cream with added flavorings. I have not had success with this procedure it taste wonderful and is light and fluffy but once I allow it to sit in the cake that I cut it the next day it is bubbly and deflated. I do live in a very humid climate and refrigerate this type of cake, but still do not like the results the next day.? (I use buttercream exterior) Would love a creamy filling to counter balance the sweetness of buttercream but have not had good results.

I really don't like Rich's Bettercreme either...after it sits the consistency seems to change for some reason...I try not to use any fillings that need to be refridgerated.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 7

Does anyone else have input on how many hours you let your cake settle before icing?

=)

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7

I'm glad it's not something i'm doing with bettercream, I also prefer non-refrigerated fillings,thnks for response. I bake my cakes allow to cool and fill (usually buttercream) crumb coat and cover well place in the freezer. When ready to decorate I remove them from the freezer that morning still wrapped, place on my counter in an a/c cooled room for 8hrs (when I return from work) to decorate that evening, deliver the following day. If filling (non-perishible-no frig. required) I bake the night before cool layers wrap in plastic leave on counter overnight about 10 hrs. early next morning fill and crumb coat leave on counter 8hrs to decorate that evening. I do keep my home a cool 72. Never had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%