Which Ready-Made Fondant Tastes Best?

Baking By joquita Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 10:59am by mjjandz

joquita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joquita Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 17

I want to try covering some of my valentine cookies with fondant (to do the little postage stamp hearts). Since this is all so new to me, I think it might be too much to try and make the fondant and do all of the decorating. I was thinking about getting some ready-made fondant to use but don't want it to taste disgusting since I am doing them for my sister's class. I also want to use the ready-made kind once before making my own so I know what I'm attempting to make because I've never even seen fondant before in real life. any suggestions on which brand would be best? since I won't need a really large amount and it is only for this time (I will try making some in the future), I'm not that concerned about which is cheapest, just which tasted best and is easiest to work with.
thanks soooooooo much!!! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 17

i love Fondx brand, it taste good, smells devine and most of all i find it fantastic to work with.....

Alot of other people swear by Satin Ice, personally i havent tried this yet....

cheers

kylie

joquita Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks so much for the response! where do you buy the fondx from? I don't think that I've ever seen it before (I'm very new to this!).

Thanks for your help!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 17

FondX OR Satin Ice...
icon_wink.gif

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 17

if you google FondX you should find it, also i think most online cake suppliers will have it...

i buy mine in Australia, so depending on where you live its probably best to find a supplier in your own country....

kylie

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 17

I tried Wilton : { pass on that then I made my own marshmellow fondant very tasty but a mess to make!! I recently bought Pettinice and I thought was pretty tasty but that's all I have tried but do not by all means buy Wilton especially if they are gonna be on cookies!

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 17

Has anyone seen (or tried) the Sweet Inspirations White Chocolate Rolled Fondant? Just wondering......
Thanks

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 17

My vote goes to Fondx as well. Love it. Easy to work with and price was pretty reasonable.

CalJava has fondx I pasted the link below:

http://www.caljavaonline.com/index.html

Hope that works, never copied and pasted a link before

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:07am
post #9 of 17

I think I prefer using the rolled buttercream on cookies, easy to make, taste great! I put in a little orange flavoring. I got so much help on this site in learning to use it. You cut it with cookie cutters and I learned the trick to get it perfectly fitted without stretching..put it in the freezer a few minutes before applying to your cookie and brush on a little lite syrup so it will stick....My friends and family love these cookies!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:20am
post #10 of 17

Satin Ice gets my vote. Smells and taste great and sooooo easy to work with. I have read a lot about FondX and need to order some and give it a try. Iunderstand you can refrigerate a cake with FondX and it won't sweat.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 17

You can freeze Fondx as well.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 17

My vote is for Satin Ice. It is a little pricey but people have actually eaten it when I've done a cake with it. It has a vanilla flavor to it and tints beautifully. I use it exclusively for cakes people are going to eat and use yucko Wilton (with a coupon) for competition cakes! I have a tub of Choco Pan but haven't worked up the nerve to use it!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 17

I've used Satin Ice and LOVE it! I have put my cakes in the fridge and it's fine!
It smells so good and tastes just as good. When I deliver the cakes with fondant it makes my vehicle smell so nice!
I haven't tried fondX would like to but can't find a place that will ship to Canada. icon_cry.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 17

I've tried many and find that even my little audience likes the satin ice. Not to many kids will
eat the fondant, so SATIN ICE,

joquita Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #15 of 17

Thanks so much for all the responses...sounds like fondx or satin ice is the way to go! I'll see what else I need to order and then decide between the two. I think I'll have to eventually try them both though so it sounds like they are both great. I really appreciate the help! icon_smile.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:55am
post #16 of 17

Satin Ice

mjjandz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjjandz Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 10:59am
post #17 of 17

I have only tired rolled buttercream,and so far I like that. Maybe I will try fondx or another brand next.

ALlison

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%