How Do You Store Homemade Fondant?

Decorating By ntrpi Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm by madgeowens

ntrpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntrpi Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I like to make my own fondant, the non-marshmellow kind. I've been told that it should be used right away, but I don't buy it. I'm sure there must be some way to store it. I've read that it shouldn't be refridgerated, but does anyone know why? If you could let me know how all of you store your fondant and for how long, I would be grateful icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Sandra

8 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 9

I store mine wrapped in plastic wrap inside of Satin Ice containers that I saved. I keep them in my basement, and it lasts for months!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 9

I use the Michele Foster recipe. Instructions say it holds at room temp for a month I believe but if I don't use it in a week or so I freeze it. I normally thaw and refreeze it multiple times before its used up.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 9

i wrap mine in plastic wrap, then put it in a baggie, then put all mine in a big tupperware container and leave out in my kitchen with the other cake stuff. lasts forever. if they're ever too hard, I microwave a few seconds (7-10). If too soft or wet/sticky I add powdered sugar. I've had some colors for close to a year

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 9

I also freeze MMF if I won't be using it soon. Works great!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 9

When I make fondant, I use Toba Garrett's or Margaret Braun's recipes, and they both say to keep refrigerated, well wrapped, so that's what I do.

I keep it for months, but usually use them by then. Always have to remember to take out of the fridge to soften the morning of decorating though.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 9

I make MFF and freeze it - wrap it in plastic first then put it in one of those vacuum zip-type bags with the little hand pump. Pump out the air and throw it in the freezer. I do this with gumpaste too.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 9

I use MMF and this is how I store it (it will keep forever this way)
double wrap in saran, place in a gallon size freezer baggie, being sure to squish out as much air as possible....then put the whole thing in a food saver bag and suck all the air out with the vacuum seal machine....store at room temp....HTH!
use this method with GP as well

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 9

put it in baggies and then in cannister set on counter, if I have it too long and its hard I chuck it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%