Marshmallow Fondant Help!

Decorating By rkei Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm by tonedna

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 12

About a year ago, I bought a package of the Wilton Fondant from Michaels. I opened the package. It didn't smell very good. I tried to taste it, and couldn't stand the taste.

I see that a lot of people use MMF.

this is my big question: Does it taste good???

Thanks!!

11 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:00am
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkei

About a year ago, I bought a package of the Wilton Fondant from Michaels. I opened the package. It didn't smell very good. I tried to taste it, and couldn't stand the taste.

Thanks!!

Wilton is not the best tasting fondant out there. Satin Ice or FondX taste a lot better. MMF tastes just like marshmallows.
Edna icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 12

i would make michelle foster's fondant(great tasting, recipe on this site) before i would make mmf.

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:05am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

Thanks!!

Wilton is not the best tasting fondant out there. Satin Ice or FondX taste a lot better. MMF tastes just like marshmallows.
Edna icon_smile.gif

I am checking out the Satin Ice right now. I'm thrilled that I saw you were the replier to my post!! I watch your videos on youtube allllll the time!! icon_smile.gif

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:12am
post #5 of 12

Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe on this site is the BEST! Easy and it tastes good.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:21am
post #6 of 12

I always use the MMF cause its easy to make and cheap to make. I did buy Duffs at Michaels to practice making ornament cakes. It tastes pretty good but I dont want to spend 15 bucks for something that costs 3 to make! Someone at work told me it kind of tastes like candy corn lol.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:33am
post #7 of 12

Marshmallow fondant is SO easy to make if you want to just experiment with something really basic. This makes a small batch and is super cheap. Give it a whirl and see what you think about the taste. You can add cocoa or vanilla or creme bouquet, etc. Just decrease your water amount a bit if you add an extract.

Very Basic recipe:
1 cup of mini marshmallows
1 tablespoon of water
(melt this together at 20 second intervals in the microwave until soupy)
1 cup of powdered sugar stirred into the mixture. Add an additional 1/2-3/4 of a cup of powdered sugar as needed. You will not be able to stir all of that in. Just dump your sticky mixture onto the mat and knead the sugar in with your greased hands.

Roll into a ball, wrap with saran wrap and rest it overnight on the counter.

Easy!!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:44am
post #8 of 12

I make my own mmf too, similar to the recipe above. I like to add clear butter extract and a small amount of lemon extract or lemon juice. It adds to the flavor.

Jump in, the water's great! Have fun!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:14am
post #9 of 12

Tastes just like marshmallows! I love using MMF & make it all the time - it's easy & cheap like Chasey said. Plus, you can also flavor & color it using Jello or candy melts. Try it!

tonedna Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:06am
post #10 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

Thanks!!

Wilton is not the best tasting fondant out there. or FondX taste a lot better. MMF tastes just like marshmallows.
Edna icon_smile.gif

I am checking out the right now. I'm thrilled that I saw you were the replier to my post!! I watch your videos on youtube allllll the time!! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:29am
post #11 of 12

fondx rocks imo.. like mmf but more subtle.. so smooth and silky to work with too.. acheived great results

tonedna Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 12

FondX it's working better tha Satin Ice lately. Im not sure if they change something with Satin Ice
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%