Some Advice Please

Business By RebK Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 3:50am by jenmat

RebK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebK Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,
my name is Rébecca, I'm 29 and I am contacting you because I am setting up a "business" which is similar to yours (don't worry, I am not intending to compete with you: I am French and lived in France!)

For the time being, I am working on cupcakesand wedding cakes, but I would like to enlarge my offer to the customers. I have seen yours desserts table on websites and I love them !!! and I wonder wether you could give me some advice. I would be most grateful if those who are professionals of sweet tables could tell how much your charge for a dessert table. It is very dificult for me to know how to charge my services.

My interogations main clauses are the ones this:
how manage you to set a price from a clasique request ? From what elements establish you an estimate ?
is it according to the number of the guests ? or does-it depend on the number of sweets, or on the time spent to work on those dessert table ? How can consider yourselves that this ?
Is these a minimum your charge ?
Are the products displayed on your table made by yourself or do you buy the necessary ingredients if so, what's the percentage of your benefit ?
Are the plater etc...you use included in the price of our table or do you charge them in addition ?

Sorry for all these questions but "sweet tables" are unknows in France, so it's really difficult to find answers.

Thank you very well for all your help !!

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 3

I don't do them but I work with someone who does, and they're pretty expensive. She charges $10-$12 per person for them, and she sets them up herself. She owns the serving dishes, and she buys some of the things on the tables from other people and makes some herself. Then you have to decide whether to stay to replace the things the guests eat, or if they have someone at the reception to do that for you.

Quite frankly, unless you make everything yourself, you won't be making much of a profit on these. Her price per serving is based on the price that she has to pay other people for the cookies, tarts, etc. that she puts on the tables, and that adds up quickly. If you made everything yourself you could reduce that cost.

I don't think that she's selling very many of these, it's more of a trend online in wedding blogs and photo shoots than it is in real life. When people do candy tables they usually buy the candy themselves and don't hire someone to do it. Same thing for the sweets tables, it's more common for a bride to make some of the things herself and buy some than it is for a bride to hire someone to do it completely for her.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 3

I would recommend that you look at the pictures of those sweet tables that you like from this site and Private Message the creators (look at the member's profile and choose pm, this allows you to contact them) with these questions. I think that many people have not seen this post, or those that you are trying to contact are not reading this.

Costumeczar is probably correct (like usualicon_smile.gif that these dessert tables are incredibly difficult to make money. I think a bigger bakery would be able to, but do not underprice yourself.
Best Wishes and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%