Sugared Edges...

Baking By sugarmommacakes Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 2:04am by sugarmommacakes

sugarmommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommacakes Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 7

I ran across some cupcakes here on CC that had sugared edges with the buttercream on top. Anyone know how to get that look? I would assume I wouldn't want to lightly frost than dip the cupcake into the sugar than top with frosting because the frosting wont stick to the sugar correct? I PMd the person who made the cupcakes but just figured I would get a quicker response if I posted here.
here is a pic of the cupcakes i'm looking at
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1639076.html

TIA!!

6 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 7

These look like the WILTON sugar Sprinkles that have a coloring on them. I know that I have used them, just looked in my cabinet and that's what they are. I think they may come in colors already don't remember but the ones I have are white and I colored them so HTH. icon_smile.gif

sugarmommacakes Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7

i'm not asking what they are.. i'm asking how she did it. cause you dont want to sugar the whole cupcake before putting on the buttercream frosting because the frosting wont attach to the sugar so would i just roll the outsides of the cupcake leaving the middle open for the frosting?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 7

I'm going to toss out a couple of guesses:

1. Roll the edge of the cuppie in the sprinkles while it is still a little warm so the sprinkles have something to stick to.

2. Brush the edge w/a little piping gel before you roll the edge in sprinkles.

I would put the sprinkles in a pie plate so you can roll the cuppie edge along through the sprinkles and keep the center clean.

HTH
Kristy

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 7

Just from the observation, it looks like she dipped the whole top in sugar and then topped with the buttercream swirl. Not having done it before, I'm wondering why you think the icing won't 'stick' to the sugared top?

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 7

Here's my guess.

Cover the edges only in buttercream and dip them in sugar. Then use a star tip starting in the center working your way out. As long as the center of the cupcake is clean (no sugar) the buttercream should stick. And it seems quicker to do it this way rather than coating the entire cupcake in sugar first.

sugarmommacakes Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #7 of 7

ok that's what i was thinking. thanks everyone!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%