Black Friday Madness - How Mad Was Yours?

Lounge By playingwithsugar Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 3:23am by steffiessweet_sin_sations

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 15

Was anyone caught in the fray during Black Friday? The news reported that a man got trampled at a WalMart, a woman was accused of moving some guy's chairs outside Best Buy, and apparently two other WalMarts had to be evacuated because of a ruckus.

I hope everyone who went came out of there alright.

What was your experience like?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

14 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 15

I wouldn't go into a store on Black Friday for a million bucks. It brings out the absolute worst in people. All the Christmas peace, joy and goodwill toward men sentiment goes straight out the window. It's very off-putting to me. Definitely not worth a bargain.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 15

I don't go either, unless its very late in the day, when the stores are cleared out. The lady that checked me out at Walmart today said that people were fighting over towels on friday, they were on sale for a dollar something, and usually theyre only 3 something..... give me a break. She said people were videoing it on their cell phones...

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 15

I went to Toy R Us on Thursday night and waiting in line for 2.5 hours just to check out! I found people to be very friendly! Everyone had a great attitude. A woman in front of me lost her purse somewhere in the store and another woman in line offered to keep her place in line AND drag her bag of stuff to keep the line moving while she went to look for her purse. Turns out someone found her purse and turned it in to customer service. Nothing was missing! Now that's a great example of Goodwill towards men!! icon_biggrin.gif

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 12:50am
post #5 of 15

I have never been black friday shopping. I find the spirit in it to be all "greedy-greedy". icon_razz.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:00am
post #6 of 15

I've only gone one year--not worth the hassle in my opinion. I recently started a new job and (unlike my old employer) we were open on Friday so I went to work on that day for the first time in many years.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 15

that Toys R Us story was nice! people really can be civil!
I shopped online... driving anywhere near a store on Black Friday makes me nervous!

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 15

I've only been a few times over the years.
Once at about 11 years old I was cursed at by several grown women over a Holiday Barbie doll, almost trampled a few years later and then last year saw so many ticked off people over limited supplies that I vowed never again.
This year my sister was caught in the middle of a scuffle and her eyeball was scratched badly. These women were saving $20 on a toy and fighting over it when she caught in the middle.
Its all online from now on for me, and my sister as well. It's just not worth it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:20am
post #9 of 15

i've gone in the past, but with two little ones under 2 i need my sleep!!

I do all my black friday shopping online. If the store was out of it that had in a print ad then Amazon was matching the price on their site so i didn't have to worry about not finding it (of course as long as amazon carried the item)

I got everything i wanted online and was in bed by 11:30 thanksgiving evening, then finished up my shopping friday afternoon online...... all in my pajamas!

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:09am
post #10 of 15

I have been doing it for 21 years. My 1st nephew was the recipient the first year. I have 3 nephews only and they are 21, 18 & 15. I went out with my husband who was my boyfriend at the time to shop for them.

This year is my last year going out. My one and only is 10 and starting not to believe in the man anymore.

I was out at 9 PM @Toys R' Us on Thanksgiving night, they didn't have what I was looking for. I was happy that I went with a plan and stuck to it. No extra splurges this year.

Midnight @ Game Stop and 4 AM @ Kohl's.

I might miss it a little next year but, I will gladly shop online next year and sleep in.

I didn't do much Cyber Monday Shopping.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:42am
post #11 of 15

this year my hubby was sick so he couldnt be my company, so my oldest and youngest daughters went with me. we left at 2:30 in the morning, and went to get some sheets at wal mart and they were already sold out, they had started selling them at 12, so then on to pennys, where we stood in the cold, (at least it wasnt raining) for an hour and then all calmly walked in and got the free ornament, which we have been gathering for 10+ years, and bought clothes. wasnt really as much fun as normally with my hubby, he keeps me on track! LOL the girls were more interestd in what they wanted! anyway, that was all we got done, home and back napping at 10!

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 15

Last 2 years, I didn't go but this year I went with my husband and we arrived at Wal-mart at 11:20 p.m. and already there were a lot of people around the pallets they put in the middle of the aisles. At around 11:50 p.m., we heard the ripping of shrink wrap from the other side of the store, so everyone started opening the pallets and grabbing. I just wish they would set a limit as to how much a person can buy because I saw people with 6 to 10 of the same item. If you are not there by midnight or earlier, you won't find much left. We waited almost an hour to pay.

Then we went to Brandsmart USA, and even though it was crowded, they had plenty of items left.

And finally, we went to Target at around 2:45 a.m. and waited for them to open at 4 a.m. I am never going back to a Super Target like other years, from now on is Target because the line and everyone was just perfect. It was like going shopping any other day.

The rest of my shopping I did online, but I found the store prices cheaper.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 15

Got in line at Toys R US at 9 pm and didnt get into the store until 12:15 am...didn't check out until 3 am.

First time doing and will think twice about it in the future.

There are only like 4 toys r us's in San Diego County which is odd, so I should have known better...but I got excited and wanted to join the masses.

Had fun but still feel like I am catching up on the sleep,

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 15

I only went to Sams and they were very organized. They checked everyone's memberhship card before opening and handed out will call tags for items. So if you were in line early enough you got the items you wanted. I got a $700 laptop for $500

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:23am
post #15 of 15

thats what circuit city used to do before they went out of business, they were sooo organized! it wasnt bad at pennys but target?? oh my!!! that was chaos, we waited for a while then gave up, the lines werent moving at all for an hour (checkout lines) so decided it wasnt worth it, went back couple days later and got the same stuff. i just like the excitement, its like christmas.....start your engines!!!!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%