Cricut Cake Help!!

Decorating By thepillarsofcake Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 3:22am by cakestars

thepillarsofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepillarsofcake Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:03am
post #1 of 9

Just began using the cricut cake...cuts longhorn cheese slices wonderfuly.
When I try fondant it just tears and rips.
HELP icon_cry.gif

8 replies
leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 9

I haven't tried it with cheese yet, fun!

I found that it helps to roll the fondant very thin, so I can see through it. Then I let it sit for a couple of hours so it kind of firms up. It also helps to add tylose powder.

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 6:06am
post #3 of 9

i always roll it out, stick it in the freezer for about 10 minutes, make my cut then pop it back in the freezer before removing the cut from the mat. works perfectly icon_smile.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 6:54am
post #4 of 9

what type of fondant are you using? for me, homemade mmf is the hardest to cut unless you add tylose to stiffen it up. satin ice works beautifully for me, i just roll it thin, let it sit for a few min (maybe 5min) and it usually cuts with minimal tearing. the best thing i've found to use in the machine is gumpaste though. i've heard wilton and cricut's premade brands work well, but personally i like to make my own following nicholas lodge's recipe (link below). you have to make it and let it sit in the fridge overnight but it is amazing when you roll it out thin and cut. it makes the sharpest cuts of anything i've used.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm

i hope that helps! don't give up on your cricut, its an awesome machine =D

digitalprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
digitalprincess Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:35am
post #5 of 9

So that's how you do it right! icon_smile.gif Thanks a lot, I'm going to try it out right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestars

i always roll it out, stick it in the freezer for about 10 minutes, make my cut then pop it back in the freezer before removing the cut from the mat. works perfectly icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:47am
post #6 of 9

I always stick the sheet in freezer for atleast 15 mins....longer if I can....works great...I find gumpaste is best

thepillarsofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepillarsofcake Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 9

Thank You to all who replied! I will try the suggestions and let you know how it works. I really want this to work out.

digitalprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
digitalprincess Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 9

I followed what cakestars said and mine came out really good! I'm glad I signed up here, I have a Cricut cake and the first time was such a lot of hard work for me that I only used it again last after 4months of non-use. The first was when I had to cut 100 hello kitty faces for my niece's birthday. It took me almost a week to knead, roll & do a LOT of trial and error, not to mention a LOT of ripping! I sure wished I read cakestars' post first, it would have saved me from a traumatic experience.

It also helps that I just bought a pasta machine and tried it last night. Oh boy, now I'm excited to tinker with Cricut again! Thanks a lot!

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:22am
post #9 of 9

So glad it worked! I was disappointed and frustrated after I first bought the cricut, now that I learned to freeze it, I absolutely love it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%