Local Decorator Using My Website Design, What To Do??

Decorating By cakeschmake Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 5:35am by alleykat1

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:14am
post #31 of 46

Ditto what Jill said. I get emails all the time (the newsletter type that I subscribe to) and there is one in particular that is promoting "Branding" experts. The problem is these "branding" experts are nothing more than stationery people, or they design logos (which is NOT 'brand' or 'branding') or they do the bricks-n-mortar part of putting a website together.

Buyer Beware: "Branding" is the new buzzword but dont' confuse it with logos or symbols or colors on a website. Re-read Jill's post.

According to a REAL branding expert, guess what McDonald's "brand" is? And no, it's NOT the Golden Arches.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:32am
post #32 of 46

I'll take a guess! Is it the red and yellow color scheme?

Everytime I see red and yellow together I think McDonalds icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:39am
post #33 of 46

nope ... that would fall into logo and trademark.

BTW .... yellow and orange are two colors that make people hungry and also attract the eye more than others, so using those colors is a psychological 'trick' to get you to turn into the parking lot. If you go to a lot of trade shows, you probably see a lot of yellow, orange and some reds just for this reason.

next guess?

jenny311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny311 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:40am
post #34 of 46

My guess is their constant adaptation to customer's needs and wants. i.e. toys from the latest kid's movies, trendy coffee drinks, "healthy" salads during the Atkins diet craze etc. They continually adapt to what is going on around them, just like we as decorators must do to stay competitive and current.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 9:27am
post #35 of 46

It's the "Mc" isn't it? You actually get in big trouble is you named your business "McCakes"

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 2:28pm
post #36 of 46

Their brand is fast, consistent "food" (I do put that in quotation marks) that's convenient and easily assessible pricewise. Branding isn't the logo, it's basically what people think of when they think of your company.

Or as Dilbert said in a recent strip, "marketing is booze and guessing" icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:02pm
post #37 of 46

Ok, I'll share now (I'm back from my Black Friday excursion!).

The branding expert said McD's brand is "fun". (costume was the closest!) Watch their commercials. It's people smiling and having fun at McD's. they never claim their food is healthy or that it even tastes good ..... but they do imply (pretty strongly) that anytime you stop in, you'll have a "fun" time; a nice family moment.

you can't put "fun" on a logo, print it on a business card or make it part of the code of a website.

But the marketing message has it plastered EVERYWHERE, in every message in every way.

Nike's brand isn't the swish mark. It's the idea that people who wear Nike are the ones who "just do it" .... they are the achievers, the go-getters, the ones who work the hardest. they don't think about it, or get wishy-washy about their workout They. Just. Do It. It's not the swish. It's the idea in every message.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:35pm
post #38 of 46

In regards to the original post I think I would just move on to a paid site that you can own solely. I think reaching out to a competitor makes you look a little petty since it is a template that is not owned by you.

Indydeb- as usual there is always a lesson to be learned in your comments. ty!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:49pm
post #39 of 46

We love to watch commercials and pick out the marketing message--like you get the hot guy/girl if you buy the car.

The accounting firm BDO, "People who know, know BDO" That was what they entered our market with--din even say what the heck kinda company they were--how cheeky. Got your attention though and it pissed me off too 'cause I could see it coming.

So fast forward--it's an accounting firm--boring--so get this--their logo is their initials BDO and it's outlined on two sides like a big "L" encompassing the initials.

Can you spell libido!!! I love that one--too rich huh!
Accounting <yawn yawn> equals libido --they got your (my) attention!!!
But the real point is that they have a killer marketing agency!!! icon_lol.gif

Numbers are sexy, baby!!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:26pm
post #40 of 46

I haven't read all the posts but there are only a few templates for our business available on webs.com. She probably had never seen your site before but when browsing the available template she just happened to choose the same one. Get over it. If you don't want to change yours how can you ask her to change hers, and how do you even know you had your site before she had hers? So what, you seem to have the same tastes and chose the same template for your cake sites. If her cakes aren't as nice as yours don't worry. It isn't like someone is going to confuse the two of you. Now if your businesses had similar names then you might have an issue, but that isn't the case.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #41 of 46

Oh and this same thing happens with Vistaprint sites too. They have very limited templates for cake businesses and most use that one that is different color blues with the brown stacked cake on a cake pedestal. It is a beautiful template and very modern yet elegant. The matching biz card is also very popular. At our local cake supply store you can put your card up on their bulletin board. There are at least 4 women using that same card for their businesses. Why? because it is free!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:49pm
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Oh and this same thing happens with Vistaprint sites too. They have very limited templates for cake businesses and most use that one that is different color blues with the brown stacked cake on a cake pedestal. It is a beautiful template and very modern yet elegant. The matching biz card is also very popular. At our local cake supply store you can put your card up on their bulletin board. There are at least 4 women using that same card for their businesses. Why? because it is free!

Yep, that's the same kind of card I use...it's a cute one!

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 8:55pm
post #43 of 46

Thanks for filling me in Debi, that bugged me all night!! Way to keep me on the edge of my seat! icon_lol.gif

Cakesdivine, I appreciate the feedback but like I've already said, I am over it. I've already changed my site and I'm moving on. But just for the record I'm pretty sure mine was up first, I've been in business nearly two years while she just started advertising on craigslist and has done maybe 5 cakes, 3 of which were for her own kids. All that I gathered by looking at her site. Not a big deal anymore.

sweetonyouzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetonyouzz Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:48am
post #44 of 46

The only thing I care about is that people do not use my pictures and they do not use my name (I have my name registered legally and it is mine) apart from that people look at the products more than the template on the website..if you have good products you will get the customers! Good luck on you business!
Jo

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:11am
post #45 of 46

Vistaprint=cheese. And I can't count the number of times I've read this word for word on different VP sites:

"Our company is based on the belief that our customers' needs are of the utmost importance. That is why we treat your event as if it was being held in our own home. We are committed to meeting your needs. As a result, a high percentage of our business is from repeat customers and referrals. We would welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver you the best service in the industry."

And it's usually someone who's gallery is full of star tipped Little Mermaid and Buzz Lightyear character pan cakes.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:35am
post #46 of 46

people can have your same name if they are in another state...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%