Cake Cricut

Decorating By Savybee Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 5:41pm by Savybee

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:00am
post #31 of 128

lol ok tiggy...what do you sell make the cut? use whatever you like they will both work, I can only talk about the one I use

Savybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Savybee Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #32 of 128

OH!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:34am
post #33 of 128

avybee if I can help you at all just pm me, I will be happy to help

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 1:33pm
post #34 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

lol ok tiggy...what do you sell make the cut? use whatever you like they will both work, I can only talk about the one I use

No, do you sell sure cuts a lot? I thought I could talk about what I like since you talk about what you like. I didn't know this could only be about your opinion.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:28pm
post #35 of 128

Madge, you must have an older version of Sure Cuts A Lot. The version that I have doesn't need inkscape, it converts to svg files on it's own. I think that it started doing that right before I bought it a year or so ago.

I personally don't use my cricut much, but I'm going to use it to make stencils and Christmas cards this year.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #36 of 128

[quote="costumeczar"]Madge, you must have an older version of Sure Cuts A Lot. The version that I have doesn't need inkscape, it converts to svg files on it's own. I think that it started doing that right before I bought it a year or so ago.quote]
I guess you can't believe everythig people tell on CC.

Savybee Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #37 of 128

Do you think if you made a stencil on the scrapbooking cricut it would be ok to use with fondant or something just to trace?

costumeczar Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:33pm
post #38 of 128

[quote="tiggy2"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Madge, you must have an older version of Sure Cuts A Lot. The version that I have doesn't need inkscape, it converts to svg files on it's own. I think that it started doing that right before I bought it a year or so ago.quote]
I guess you can't believe everythig people tell on CC.

Haha, no you can't because I'm wrong about that anyway. I checked,and it's just that you don't need to use svg files, it converts to a scal file without needing the svg format. See how often I use it.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #39 of 128

ok so now I'm really confused (I am NOT very good with computers....)
I take it if you buy either of these software packages you don't have to buy additional criket cartridges? If you buy this software is it difficult to use? Do you need anything in addition to these?
now here is the stupid question of the day....how would one get the image from the computer into the criket? Tiggy? help icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:03pm
post #40 of 128

All you need is a USB cable from the computer to the cricut, at least with make the cut, I don't know anything about sure cuts alot except you needed inkscape I didn't want to mess with.

costumeczar Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #41 of 128

With Sure Cuts A Lot you use the USB cable too. You can either use inkscape and make svg files or get svg files from other places online.

Sure Cuts also has a "trace image" feature that you can use to make a SCAL file from pictures. You upload a picture from your computer and trace it, then it turns it into a SCAL file that you can send to the cricut using the usb connection. That obviously works best with simple outlines and solid shapes.

SCAL also has a bunch of fonts and basic shapes that are in the program that you can use, like hearts, squares, circles, etc. I assume that Makes The Cut has something similar.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm
post #42 of 128

Tiggy, thank you very much icon_smile.gif

diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 8:45pm
post #43 of 128

thank you as well, costume czar

tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:48pm
post #44 of 128

You're right costume, make the cut also has basic shapes, fonts, etc. It's just a matter of preference. I believe you cand download a trial version of both and see what you like.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 10:16pm
post #45 of 128

I can't find any of the real good deals on the Cricut cake that yall have. I have never seen one in operation so I too have been confused on how easy it would be to operate. I do okay with quizmos but I'm more of a push buttons til you get results or it blows up kind of girl. With the regular cricut cake can you make the images different sizes? Does it work well with fondant you roll out? I don't have the patience or cash to waste if it's not really gong to make life easier.

costumeczar Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 10:43pm
post #46 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I can't find any of the real good deals on the cake that yall have. I have never seen one in operation so I too have been confused on how easy it would be to operate. I do okay with quizmos but I'm more of a push buttons til you get results or it blows up kind of girl. With the regular cake can you make the images different sizes? Does it work well with fondant you roll out? I don't have the patience or cash to waste if it's not really gong to make life easier.

Tiggy likes hers, mine isn't used much at all. I do primarily wedding cakes, so unless a bride wants a very specific pattern at that I have on the cricut or can put on the SCAL I can't use it for my cakes. I think it just depends on what kind of cakes you use it for and what tolerance you have for the learning curve, since it works differently for everyone depending on your gumpaste, humidity, and every other factor you have to take into account.

For me personally it's not really worth the time, but I keep thinking that it will be so I'm not selling it yet. I've used it to make stencils more than to make decorations out of gumpaste etc. It also works well with the icing sheets and rice paper.

tiggy2 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:57am
post #47 of 128

It doesn't work well with straight fondant, it's too soft. I've had good luck adding tylose to Wilton fondant, rolling it very, very thin, and letting it sit for awhile before cutting. The smaller the design the longer it needs to sit (dry) before cutting.

Savybee Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:42am
post #48 of 128

OH! Would you recommend using the scrap booking circuit with fondant? If not then have you seen any good deals? I can get on a circuit?

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #49 of 128

I just watched the video and I was wondering, how hard is it to thoroughly clean this sucker?

Savybee Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #50 of 128

I don't know. Propbaly hard to clean the blade and all the stuff.

tiggy2 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:35pm
post #51 of 128

Not hard to clean at all.

cakelady2266 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 8:18pm
post #52 of 128

Nobody has answered the question about sizing. Will the machine enlarge or reduce the size of the designs? Or does the cartridges or whatever they are called have the same design in different sizes?

costumeczar Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 8:44pm
post #53 of 128

You can change the size with the machine!

cakelady2266 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:12pm
post #54 of 128

Thanks costumeczar......I have asked this question many times but never got any feedback. It was going to be a big factor in whether or not I bought the machine.

Savybee Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 12:44am
post #55 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

Nobody has answered the question about sizing. Will the machine enlarge or reduce the size of the designs? Or does the cartridges or whatever they are called have the same design in different sizes?

Yes. You can. Its very easy to figure out.

Savybee Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 12:46am
post #56 of 128

Is the cake cricut the same as the scrap booking cricut?

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:12am
post #57 of 128

same type of machine, works the same way basically, but it's made with food safe materials.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaK38

same type of machine, works the same way basically, but it's made with food safe materials.

ALL of the Cricut machines are made from the exact same materials. They are all food safe, but Provo Craft promotes the Cricut cake as the only machine to use for food. Use what ever machine you have, they all work the same with great results.

Savybee Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm
post #59 of 128

Thanks bonniekaye
That helped.
Does anyone have a complant about the machine?

tiggy2 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 10:26pm
post #60 of 128

The only difference between the two machines is the blade housing. The one for the cake cricut is enclosed so nothing can get caught inside of it. And no, it doesn't the fit the expression unless you cut the tabs off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%