Help With Whipped Cream

Lounge By Treena Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 11:30pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Treena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Treena Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 11

Help! I'm making a french silk pie with homemade whipped cream. Recipe is heavy whipping cream, sour cream, vanilla and 10x sugar. I have beat it to death......added cream of tartar and put it in the freezer. I can not get it to stiffen. What can I do?????

Treena

10 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 11

i,m sorry, are you saying the recipe for the whipped cream has sour cream in it. Or is this the pie recipe. i,ve been lite headed today, so i might be misunderstanding. you. what is the recipe for the silk pie.

Treena Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 11

I am making the w/c separately and yes it has sour cream in it. The pie is made and already set. I didn't want to use store bought w/c so I was making my own and cannot get it to stiffen to the consistency needed to be able to cut the pie and it stays in place.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 11

i make whip cream all the time. but have never used sour cream. i let my heavy cream get really cold in freezer. put my mixing bowl in freezer and the wire whisk. i use heavy whipping cream, powder sugar, little vanilla and add a pk. of oetker whip it. sometimes i use the wilton whipping cream recipe and use little piping gel. i like that method also. so what recipe is telling you to use sour cream. would like to try that also. just never seen it.

Treena Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 11

I found the recipe at www.allrecipes.com. Here it is:

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

I did freeze my bowl and whisk and have added extra sugar and some cream of tartar. It's been in the freezer for about 15 min. and it's still not stiff. Help....

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 11

Your link didn't work. I looked at all of the recipes on their site for whipped cream, and didn't see any with sour cream. A couple of them have cream cheese , but no sc. IMO the sour cream is the culprit.

Treena Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 11

Here is the link for the recipe that I used:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Whipped-Cream/Detail.aspx
[/url]

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 11

It sounds yummy! The photo doesn't look like it whipped to peaks, more of a spreadable consistency. Sounds like you did everything right according to their directions.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 11

I've seen that recipe as well on Allrecipes. I haven't tried it, but I read some of the reviews where some decreased the amount of sour cream (maybe to 1/4 cup?).
I was in search of a "no weep" whipped cream & came across a recipe that worked great:
1 pint whipping cream
2 TBS instant dry vanilla pudding
1 tsp powered sugar (add more sugar to make it sweeter)
1 tsp vanilla extract

I actually used coconut pudding, 4 TBS sugar, 1/2 tsp coconut flavor, & 1/2 tsp vanilla. I put it on top of a coconut cream pie.
I made the recipe the night before and the pie stayed @ room temp for several hours without any weeping.
I can't wait to try more variations with different flavors of pudding & extracts!

Make sure everything is really cold (cream, mixing bowl, & whisk). If you "beat the cream to death", it will get kind of lumpy(you will be making butter). I beat mine until soft peaks form. I've never had to put the finished product in the freezer.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 11

I've seen that recipe as well on Allrecipes. I haven't tried it, but I read some of the reviews where some decreased the amount of sour cream (maybe to 1/4 cup?).
I was in search of a "no weep" whipped cream & came across a recipe that worked great:
1 pint whipping cream
2 TBS instant dry vanilla pudding
1 tsp powered sugar (add more sugar to make it sweeter)
1 tsp vanilla extract

I actually used coconut pudding, 4 TBS sugar, 1/2 tsp coconut flavor, & 1/2 tsp vanilla. I put it on top of a coconut cream pie.
I made the recipe the night before and the pie stayed @ room temp for several hours without any weeping.
I can't wait to try more variations with different flavors of pudding & extracts!

Make sure everything is really cold (cream, mixing bowl, & whisk). If you "beat the cream to death", it will get kind of lumpy(you will be making butter). I beat mine until soft peaks form. I've never had to put the finished product in the freezer.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 11

Kinda off topic, but I like to make my whipped cream with almond, cinnamon and powdered sugar. So yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%