They Want A Refund! (Vent)

Decorating By cakesdelight Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm by mom2csc

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:22pm
post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Without all those details, I would just let her know that you are aware that it is not your cake. Just a simple reply stating, "I'm sorry, but on closer inspection, I realize that the picture you sent me is not even of a cake that I could have made. My layers are not put together that way. Did you have more than one cake at your event? It seems you have confused the two. I hope you are able to resolve this with whomever it is that baked the cake in that picture."

This lets her know that you can see her scam and see why it is not yours without getting into the dirty details. Of course you can always pull those out if it becomes necessary later.

This is exactly how you should handle it. If you're baking one cake and then torting it, there's no way that photo could be of your cake.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:22pm
post #62 of 93

cakesdelight, good point about the vast difference in the height of the two layers. Good question for the OP. Plus, it just seems odd to me somehow, how the larger of the two layers is so very rounded on the end where is should have been straight from baking in the pan. I don't recall ever having a cake with that much of a curve, but maybe it's just something I never paid enough attention to before??????????????

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:23pm
post #63 of 93

So your cake should of had at least 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling correct?

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:29pm
post #64 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

So your cake should of had at least 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling correct?

I think she was saying that she bakes one 3" tall cake and splits it in half so she has two layers and one of filling per tier.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:33pm
post #65 of 93

Oh okay, totally confused me there for a sec. Then that can't possibly be her cake because that one layer alone is more then 1.5" and if she splits a 3" cake that's what her layers would be right?

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #66 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

I think she was saying that she bakes one 3" tall cake and splits it in half so she has two layers and one of filling per tier.

Texas_Rose, explained it just right! Thank You! thumbs_up.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:58pm
post #67 of 93

I find it strange that the cake is very crusty, even on top, yet it is purported to have an underbaked spot under the crust? The top of a raw cake would not crust.

Or would it? icon_confused.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:58pm
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I wouldn't send her any additional information. If you're certain it wasn't your cake and you don't need to give a refund, you'll be best to just ignore her. You don't have anything else to tell her.

This is the best advice. Unless your spouse is an attorney, don't even start the whole attorney thing. An attorney is not going to be bothered with a cake dilemma...not enough money in it for them. You know their pictures don't match up with yours, so save your evidence for small claims court if it comes to that. Don't give her advance notice of your strategy. Save it for the judge, otherwise, IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:08pm
post #69 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Plus, it just seems odd to me somehow, how the larger of the two layers is so very rounded on the end where is should have been straight from baking in the pan. I don't recall ever having a cake with that much of a curve, but maybe it's just something I never paid enough attention to before??????????????

The rounding on the bottom layer was probably caused by the weight of the top layer.

When I fill and settle my cakes with a weight on top, sometimes the lower layers will bulge a bit. I always trim that away, tho.

Looks to me like the baker didn't let the cake settle properly.

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:15pm
post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I find it strange that the cake is very crusty, even on top, yet it is purported to have an underbaked spot under the crust? The top of a raw cake would not crust.

WASC will get a dark crust like that when it still has a raw spot in the middle. I think it's the extra sugar in the recipe. Once I started using that recipe, I learned to poke the cake in a few places instead of just the center.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:30pm
post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Plus, it just seems odd to me somehow, how the larger of the two layers is so very rounded on the end where is should have been straight from baking in the pan. I don't recall ever having a cake with that much of a curve, but maybe it's just something I never paid enough attention to before??????????????

The rounding on the bottom layer was probably caused by the weight of the top layer.

When I fill and settle my cakes with a weight on top, sometimes the lower layers will bulge a bit. I always trim that away, tho.

Looks to me like the baker didn't let the cake settle properly.

That would certainly explain it. Thanks for that explanation because I just couldn't figure that one out.

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:30pm
post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

WASC will get a dark crust like that when it still has a raw spot in the middle. I think it's the extra sugar in the recipe. Once I started using that recipe, I learned to poke the cake in a few places instead of just the center.

The cake I made for my customer was top tier: vanilla cake and bottom tier was: butter yellow cake.

I poke my cakes in a "X" to make sure the whole cake is baked throughly... I don't know why I do that, I just always saw my granfather (he was a baker all his life) and my mom do that, so I thought thats how you are suppose to do that, and I use a butter knife, because some times a toothpick or a bamboo skewer wont pick up on an under cook area(s)...

(just to clarify: I dont cut my cake in an "X" I just poke different areas of the cake in an "X" poke....) icon_smile.gif

Maluisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maluisa Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:00am
post #73 of 93

Just my 2 cents about calling people's bluff. I owned a childcare back in 2001. There was this problematic couple with twin 3 year old boys. Not a week went by that they didn't have a complaint. One week the complaint escalated to the idea that they were going to pull their boys out of the school. I became a bit upset because, like the op, I am obsessive about being perfect with everything I do. Needless to say, my thinking process went into full gear and I decided that they were not going to run my business on a daily basis with their threats. So the next morning I was ready with their children's folders and said that they didn't have to think about it any longer and that having them find a more appropriate school for their family's needs where they will be happy is what I wish for them. They never pulled the boys out, their complaints stopped, and everyone "got along" after that. Their "reason" for ultimately not taking the boys elsewhere was that they wanted them to be in the school Christmas play a month later. Some people.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #74 of 93

Cute cake BTW OP!

cakesdelight Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:32am
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateNameHere

Cute cake BTW OP!

THANK YOU! but I CAN NOT take full credit as the customer had brought a printed copy of a cake just like the one I re-produced for her event.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ALSO WANT TO THANK EVERYONE THAT HAS SHARED THEIR OPINIONS ON MY SITUATION, AND I WANT TO LET YA'LL KNOW THAT EVERY SINGLE PERSON HAS HELPPED ME LOTS! I'M NOT THAT WORRIED ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS OR HER ATTORNEY, I HAVE ONE TOO. icon_lol.gif I AM NOT GOING TO EMAIL HER ANY FURTHER; IF/WHEN HER ATTORNEY CONTACTS ME, EITHER OVER THE PHONE,LETTER OR EMAIL; I'M JUST GOING TO REDIRECT THEM TO MY ATTORNEY. (OF COURSE I'M GOING TO CONTACT MY ATTORNEY ON FRIDAY TO MAKE HIM AWARE OF THIS SITUATION.)

YOU ALL HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL! I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING! AND I WILL BE KEEPING EVERYONE POSTED IF THE CUSTOMER DOES HIRE AN ATTORNEY...

TO YA'LL thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ChristinasCreative_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristinasCreative_Cakes Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:38am
post #76 of 93

WOW! $210.00 for that cake.... where in the world do you live?!?!
Is it a 10" and 8"? If so; I'd charge $110 in buttercream with decorations... and people would STILL complain.

cakesdelight Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:44am
post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinasCreative_Cakes

Is it a 10" and 8"? If so; I'd charge $110 in buttercream with decorations... and people would STILL complain.

$210 includes delivery and tax. Delivery alone was $35 because the venue was real far from me and tax where I live is 6.75% icon_smile.gif

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #78 of 93

May I ask what sort of support you used in the cake? When I look at the picture that she sent, it looks to me like the top layer is not so much undercooked as flattened. If the layers were originally the same size and then the top layer was pancaked by the weight of the top it would look like that.

cakesdelight Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:50am
post #79 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdelight

Quote:

$210 includes delivery and tax. Delivery alone was $35 because the venue was real far from me and tax where I live is 6.75% icon_smile.gif

Also, before the order is placed they meet with me for a design consultation and if the amount I charge is out of their budget then they have the right to go to another bakery... when we met was Sept. 06th and she didn't actually place the order until Oct.21st. so within that time frame she probably went to other bakeries and got quoted..... and as I have been told thousands of time by other bakers here in my area that are in the same cake club I am in, that I "under price" my cakes. icon_wink.gif

ChristinasCreative_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristinasCreative_Cakes Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #80 of 93
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Also, before the order is placed they meet with me for a design consultation and if the amount I charge is out of their budget then they have the right to go to another bakery... when we met was Sept. 06th and she didn't actually place the order until Oct.21st. so within that time frame she probably went to other bakeries and got quoted..... and as I have been told thousands of time by other bakers here in my area that are in the same cake club I am in, that I "under price" my cakes. icon_wink.gif

Where are you located???

cakesdelight Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:57am
post #81 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymomnh

May I ask what sort of support you used in the cake? When I look at the picture that she sent, it looks to me like the top layer is not so much undercooked as flattened. If the layers were originally the same size and then the top layer was pancaked by the weight of the top it would look like that.

I use bubble tea straws and foam core board. (sharron zambito's stacking method) I cut the bubble tea straws just a lil'bit higher then the cake (but not tooo much higher so it doesnt wabble and its stabble; I only do that when I know there is a border being used) BUT My cakes never get squished/pancaked on the top like that cake in that picture.... hmmmm thats another clue as to know that that is not my cake.... THANK U FOR NOTICING THAT!

DaisyP32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyP32 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:58am
post #82 of 93

I came into this conversation late and I think it's already been solved but I have to put my 2 cents in too.

In the pic she sent you of the undercooked cake it looks to me like it is a 2" cake on top of a 3" cake with icing in between. You can see that the smaller top portion of cake is crusted on the side and a little bit into the cake. Like that was probably the top of a 2" cake and the rounded bit had been shaved not all the way to the edge.

cakesdelight Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #83 of 93
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where are you located???

Ooops, sorry I forgot to input that in OHIO.

cakesdelight Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:03am
post #84 of 93
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where are you located???

Ooops, sorry I forgot to input that in OHIO.

also in case you're wondering its 1.00 per mile ( the mileage rate we can charge here in ohio is .49.9 cents per mile... so I charge $1.00 per mile (which covers round trip; I use to say it .50 cents per mile each way... and people would think its too much, so when you say $1.00 per mile to some people it doesn't sound too much and it covers your gas to go home) icon_smile.gif

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:07am
post #85 of 93
Quote:

Quote:

I use bubble tea straws and foam core board. (sharron zambito's stacking method) I cut the bubble tea straws just a lil'bit higher then the cake (but not tooo much higher so it doesnt wabble and its stabble; I only do that when I know there is a border being used) BUT My cakes never get squished/pancaked on the top like that cake in that picture.... hmmmm thats another clue as to know that that is not my cake.... THANK U FOR NOTICING THAT!

Hmm, just thinking out loud, but going on the idea that this could have been your cake...could the cake have been dropped. Or maybe someone sat on it! icon_lol.gif

Regardless, sounds like buyer's remorse to me. thumbsdown.gif

cakesdelight Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:14am
post #86 of 93
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm, just thinking out loud, but going on the idea that this could have been your cake...could the cake have been dropped. Or maybe someone sat on it! icon_lol.gif

Regardless, sounds like buyer's remorse to me. thumbsdown.gif

LMAO!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT THE MOMENT I READ THE EMAIL FROM THE CUSTOMER.... icon_razz.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #87 of 93

That's exactly how I do it, too. Now, let me tell you why I asked.

Referring to the top layer of cake in the photo - if you put it into the windows viewer, and spin it around, you can see that it has a bottom crust on it, along the frosting line, near the outside edge of the cake. The cake in the photo is obviously made from two separately baked layers.

Also, the top layer of cake had fallen in the oven. Cakes do not fall only on the top, they fall all the way down. There is no way that a cake baked and torted from a 3-inch layer made your cake.

This is not your cake, and now you have enough evidence to prove it, even in small claims court. If it goes to small claims, go there prepared to do a demonstration of how you torte, frost, and fill your cakes for the judge. That might be the only way you can prove it's not yours.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #88 of 93

The bottom tier of that two tiered cake does look like it has a filling line about where that slice of cake does. And furthermore there is plenty of space in between those stripes to take a clean slice with no decorations. If the nincumpoops cutting the cake had not removed the top layer of cake when cutting the bottom- then the slice could have gotten mushed on top like that.
For all the ding dongs saying that sliced cake is on a spotted table cloth... it's on a speckled counter top, most likely marble or corian or something right in the kitchen. And there are no plates on the pink table cloth who's to say they didn't have black paper plates in the kitchen?
The top layer of cake looks to have been squished really hard right after it was baked to produce a level surface for decorating or the cake fell.

However....
*If the OP is certain she torted and filled the cake then her slice would have had three layers of frosting in the middle not one in the middle. So then it isn't her cake.*

That is all from this Nancy Drew

Now I have a question- how does one get such weird rounded baked sides on a cake layer like the slice of cake in question...? I have never seen that. Unless they baked in Pyrex casserole dish or something. Even a contoured pan doesn't have that side like a budging wheel of cheese.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:39pm
post #89 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Now I have a question- how does one get such weird rounded baked sides on a cake layer like the slice of cake in question...? I have never seen that. Unless they baked in Pyrex casserole dish or something. Even a contoured pan doesn't have that side like a budging wheel of cheese.

I see you've never baked in a silicone cake pan. I bought two of them, used them twice. There's no support on the sides, so both times, the sides bulged like that. I cut the sides off them, and now use them as liners for the glass tray in my microwave oven.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:42pm
post #90 of 93

Haha my mom bought some a few years back and wondered if I wanted them and I looked at them and said no I couldn't use them for anything. That does make sense. Weird but it makes perfect sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%