They Want A Refund! (Vent)

Decorating By cakesdelight Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm by mom2csc

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:55pm
post #31 of 93

more hubby stories..... when he worked in banking, he would get people come in on a Wednesday or Thursday and SWEAR the bank shorted them money when they cashed their check LAST FRIDAY!!! icon_eek.gif He would ask "how do you know it wasn't any of the many stores you went to?" and OH NO! They KNEW it was the bank that did it!

he'd ask them "Didn't you count the money or watch them count the money?" Yes, and it was short then! Their reason for not saying anytihng right then and there? "Well, I was in a hurry!"

he pretty much kicked them out.

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #32 of 93

ok so I don't know how to attach photos; this is my first try at this so i hope it works... Im going to attach the picture she sent and the email that she sent me: OK, here it goes....

Hi XXX,

Thank you for making the "Queen of the Jungle" cake. If was beautiful and the mom to be and her guests loved how well it went with the theme.

We had a problem, however, with the actual quality of the cake. In the attached photo you can see that there was a layer that was under-baked. This was very disappointing and embarrassing, to say the least.

Due to the less than acceptable quality of the cake and the embarrassment and inconvenience it caused, I am seeking a full or partial refund. Please respond via email or call me at (XXX)XXX-XXXX to inform me of how you would like to proceed.

I appreciate your work and am sorry that this is an issue, but I think it's only fair that there be some form of restitution and I hope that we can reach a quick and reasonable resolution.

Regards,
XXXX

Sent from my iPhone

THIS WAS MY RESPONSE TO HER!:

Hello Ms. XXXX,

My name is XXXXX and I am the Accounts Supervisor for OUR COMPANY NAME

I would like to start off by saying that I am terribly sorry to hear about the incident with your cake. I regret to inform you that we are unable to give you a refund of any sort. With an issue of this caliber a phone call or an email at the time of the discovery or even the next day would have made a refund or a partial refund feasible. However this cake was delivered on November 6th @ 2 p.m., and we are just hearing of this issue 16 days later.

We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and hope you understand our position. A resolution could have been met had we been made aware at the time of delivery or at best the day after.

Regretfully,

OUR COMPANY NAME
NAME OF ACCT. SUP

Accounts Supervisor

(xxx)xxx-xxxx

our email address

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:17pm
post #33 of 93

Just so ya'll know my sister is the one who handles the accounting stuff... Im the baker/decorator/artist she handles all the other FUN stuff.

I noticed that I can't attach the picture cus the email was sent from a cell phone and the picture was not an attachment and when i tried to save it it opens it as a bunch of symbols.... I tried right clicking and it says created: 11/24/2010 and created 11/24/2010 thats todays date so either im not looking in the right place or its just not going in my favor: i also want to know when she took that picture....

im going to take a picture of it with my cellphone of the email and save it so that ya'll can see the picture she sent... Hopefully that works... fingers crossed.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:23pm
post #34 of 93

So I understand,,,this was your response after their first e-mail right? Then, they sent you another treatning you with their lawer,,,right?.... Anithing after that?

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:30pm
post #35 of 93

OK ONE MORE TRY BEFORE I GIVE UP!

I'LL ALSO ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE CAKE AT THE VENUE....

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:32pm
post #36 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

So I understand,,,this was your response after their first e-mail right? Then, they sent you another treatning you with their lawer,,,right?.... Anithing after that?

I'll copy and past their response:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot understand or accept your position. Our next correspondence will be from my attorney.

Sent from my iPhone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I Have Not sent a response to her responce....

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME ON ATTACHING A PICTURE TO THESE POSTS, PLEASE I REALLY WANT YA'LL TO SEE THE PICTURE SHE SENT.... TIA!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #37 of 93

there is a bug with CC that you can not post photos to topics/post right now. Can you post it somewhere online and supply a link to it? (in flickr or a google album?) If you post it in your photos here on CC it will be deleted most likely... but you can try.

CakeDiva101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #38 of 93

I don't know how icon_cry.gif Can you add to your photos?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #39 of 93

To attach a photo, you need to use an image hosting site. I use image shack. It's free and simple to use. Upload your photo to it, then copy the [img] code it gives you into your forum post.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:38pm
post #40 of 93

I'm gonna sound like a punk, but your reply would have mad me even more mad. It comes off very condescening and like you don't even care about the customer.
Also, is it in your policies that any complaint must be filed immediately? Yes, it may seem like common sense when dealing with food, but if I'm at a party calling the cake person isn't always my first reaction.

I guess I just think you could have handled the reply better.

CakeDiva101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm
post #41 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I'm gonna sound like a punk, but your reply would have mad me even more mad. It comes off very condescening and like you don't even care about the customer.
Also, is it in your policies that any complaint must be filed immediately? Yes, it may seem like common sense when dealing with food, but if I'm at a party calling the cake person isn't always my first reaction.

I guess I just think you could have handled the reply better.

Maybe I would not have called while at the party but I would have called the very next day at the least. ( remember, they were so disappointed and embarrassed ). Even if this was a wedding cake and I was on my honeymoon, I would have Somebody call in my behalf if I was ,somehow, stranded on a dessert island without means of communication.

I think the OPs response was polite, professional and to the point. I'm sure there are possibly 101 ways this could be handled but I think, so far, so
good. thumbs_up.gif

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:54pm
post #42 of 93

thats the picture the customer sent me: its in picasa...

http://picasaweb.google.com/delightfulcakesbakery/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCPfO1-n4l_2ehQE#

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:56pm
post #43 of 93

As a former legal secretary, my attorney would not waste his time pursuing a case that was less then $2000.00, he will tell his client to pursue in small claims court. I can't imagine the cake, embarrassment and dissappointment is going to add up to that much of an award. Not even for a law suit that was a slam dunk (which this isn't).

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #44 of 93

@Cakediva101 - Mos def. Customer should have definitely called sooner and op should have responded like she cared a little, not so defensively. But that's me.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:00pm
post #45 of 93

Did you ever address the issue that it wasn't even your cake???

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:04pm
post #46 of 93

and this is what i delivered to them: they had asked me to replicate a photo of a cake they brought me.... and they had napkins and invitations that had the same theme.... so I did what they wanted... at first they were hesistant about the given amount $265. for all fondant and then asked that I drop the price down. so we took off the fondant left the fondant decor. and price dropped to $210. anyways tell me what ya'll think? cus I was thinking about contacting my attorny and giving him to let him know what i'm dealing with... (im calling on Friday after the holiday) .

http://picasaweb.google.com/delightfulcakesbakery/QueenOfJungle?authkey=Gv1sRgCPCE1ozVnN30ogE#

THANK EVERYONE! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #47 of 93

The lawyers I've ever dealt with would not handle such a small bit of money as this. Just saying.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm
post #48 of 93

OP, I think your response was spot on.

The customer is NOT always right (I am, in fact, quite frequently a customer and I am NOT always right).

The customer is bringing up a huge issue long after the transaction, one that in regards to food, would have been extremely troubling, not to mention a health hazard.

Let's face it: time are tough and there are people out there that will try to get whatever they can, whenever they can, and will lie, cheat and steal to get it.

The OP's responses were nothing less than professional. THere is an obvious glare in the customer's complaint, and it should NOT be entertained! OP was not rude, nor did she leave room for this particular customer's unfounded accusation to fester. Some times you really DO have to nip these things in the bud.

I say A+ to the OP.

CakeDiva101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

@Cakediva101 - Mos def. Customer should have definitely called sooner and op should have responded like she cared a little, not so defensively. But that's me.

That is your point of view and I do respect that thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #50 of 93

There's enough plain white on the bottom tier that they could have cut a slice without any fondant decor on it, especially one that thin. They could have taken the leftovers home, cut into it and noticed a gummy area, then stuck it on a black plate and taken a picture. That would explain the different background and the way it looks like the picture was taken next to a computer.

I'm sure you would have noticed if one of your layers was twice as thick as the other, though...and it doesn't explain why it took so long for them to contact you.

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

Did you ever address the issue that it wasn't even your cake???

no, what you see there on my response is everything that i told her. because I didnt want get into an argument over email.... if ya know what i mean.... this is the first time a customer has ever given me a negative response.... so that is what i told her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CCRO3: we didnt respond to her in a defensive way, we do care about everything our customers have to say about a product that we deliver to them. thats why we said "I am terribly sorry to hear about the incident with your cake" and " I regret to inform you that we are unable to give you a refund of any sort."

If we weren't sorry we wouldnt of said it to her.... I was a paralegal for 8 years before I started to decorate cakes professionally, and when I wrote out letter to clients we had to sound professional but strong to our words and policies, and if I had to apologize than we would apologize but not sound too apologetic because then it gave the client a right to keep arguing...

also in the letter we also stated that if she wouldve called us that day or the next day, then a partial refund would of been considered... BUT 16 days later we cant concider a refund.... we even closed the letter with
"We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and hope you understand our position. A resolution could have been met had we been made aware at the time of delivery or at best the day after."

My sister was the one who wrote this email-letter and she is an active paralegal, we cant keeo saying that we are sorry, cause that just doesnt sound professional and if we said i was sorry after every sentence then its like saying yes, you're right and Im wrong....

I hope you understand that I'm not responding back to you to be rude, i just want to address that I DO CARE about my customer(s), becuase you stated that I sounded like i didnt care for what she was complaining about. icon_wink.gif

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:32pm
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

There's enough plain white on the bottom tier that they could have cut a slice without any fondant decor on it, especially one that thin. They could have taken the leftovers home, cut into it and noticed a gummy area, then stuck it on a black plate and taken a picture. That would explain the different background and the way it looks like the picture was taken next to a computer.

I'm sure you would have noticed if one of your layers was twice as thick as the other, though...and it doesn't explain why it took so long for them to contact you.

The reason it looks like it was taken next to a computer was because the picture that the customer emailed me was not an attachment, and when i saved it and tried to open it, it opened but it was a bunch of symbols not a picture, so I took a picture of what she sent me with my camera so that ya'll can see what she sent me... I couldnt get a closer picture because it would be fuzzy.

And you're right; maybe it was cake that was leftover and put on a different table and plate; But if it was such an embarassement, wouldn't you have called the baker that day, asking to bring a cake that you can serve your guest and a refund? I know I would as a customer myself; but not 16 days later....

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:35pm
post #53 of 93

I think if I were in your situation, I would have done the same thing. thumbs_up.gif
And if I had ordered a cake that was not cooked, I would have contacted you right away, or at least the next day.. especially since she said how the cake was ruined or whatever it was she said.. icon_lol.gif
can't wait to see what she says to you next icon_eek.gif
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Saluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saluna Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:35pm
post #54 of 93

I was just curious how you know that it for sure isn't your cake? I mean some people do take the fondant pieces off. Did you tort your pieces that size?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #55 of 93

I was also wondering about the difference in layer sizes. That's not a common thing to do. And the way the outer edges are rounded makes it seem like these were two complete cake layers of very different thicknesses, not torted, or the outer edges would have been half rounded.

And, do you leave the outer edges rounded like that before frosting? Your finished cake looks so clean and straight sided. Many folks trim the sides to a straight vertical before frosting. do you leave the sides of your layers rounded?

Surely you know if that's how your cake was put together, no? It's not exactly a common way to do it.

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:56pm
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluna

I was just curious how you know that it for sure isn't your cake? I mean some people do take the fondant pieces off. Did you tort your pieces that size?

I torte my cakes using a ruler, to get an even cut... and I also bake my cake in a 3 inch tall pan. Because Im so PICKY/OCD/PROFECTIONALIST (as everyone says that I am in the kitchen especially when Im baking & decorating for my customers...), I take and mark the cake all around (after cutting off the top that bakes over the pan) with an edible marker to make sure that I am torting the cake even in this case 1 1/2 inch each; and if you notice from the bottom of that cake it looks rounded where the filling is.... and my cakes come out straight edged ( i use fat daddios pan that have a real sharp look to the baked cake)... BUT bringin that up to a customer would be like trying to find a pin in a large body of water... (beofre I started baking/decorating cakes 11 years ago, I just thought cake was cake, boy was I SO WRONG, it's total an ART)

You're right they could've picked off the fondant decor (see thats another reason why I wasn't going to include that in my responding email, because its not worth getting into an argument over something like that) icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:05pm
post #57 of 93

Sorry if I offend, but I need a little clarification.

Are you saying that you bake 1 layer in a 3 inch pan, then torte, fill, and frost to make 1 cake, 3 layers tall? Or do you bake 2 layers in a pair of 3 inch pans, then just level them?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:06pm
post #58 of 93

Without all those details, I would just let her know that you are aware that it is not your cake. Just a simple reply stating, "I'm sorry, but on closer inspection, I realize that the picture you sent me is not even of a cake that I could have made. My layers are not put together that way. Did you have more than one cake at your event? It seems you have confused the two. I hope you are able to resolve this with whomever it is that baked the cake in that picture."

This lets her know that you can see her scam and see why it is not yours without getting into the dirty details. Of course you can always pull those out if it becomes necessary later.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:11pm
post #59 of 93

Yes, I agree it is possible that she kept a piece of the cake that she cut the next day and put onto a black plate for the photo. Very possible. In which case, it means she has a piece of cake she didn't eat and why didn't she bring that piece of cake in to show you what had happened? Heck you'd even know if it was a fresh cake baked at home, your buttcream recipe, if it was old, etc. But my point is that if they had some of the cake left over for the photo they took, they should have brought it to you, 16 days ago.

I think you worded your response very well and very professionally. And yes, if you apoligize too much, it sounds like you are admitting liability.

For me, I'd just forget him and if an attorney contacts you, refer him to your lawyer (if you have one on retainer because why pay for one over something like this), or send him the photos pointing out the obvious.

cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:16pm
post #60 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Sorry if I offend, but I need a little clarification.

Are you saying that you bake 1 layer in a 3 inch pan, then torte, fill, and frost to make 1 cake, 3 layers tall? Or do you bake 2 layers in a pair of 3 inch pans, then just level them?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

You dont offend me... I've just found what works best for me... icon_smile.gif

I bake my cake in a pan that is 3 inches tall, put parchment paper taller then the pan. then take the baked cake out, level the top (after I peel off the parchment paper) of cake to my pan, using the pan as a guide; I get a 3 inch tall cake. Then take a ruler and divide it; so before I torte the cake I mark a line all around the cake to guide me where I am going to torte the cake.

I've been doing it like this for the past 4 years and it works for me. Before I would use two different pans (the 2- 2 inch wilton brand pans and get a 1 inch tall cake) and also notice that one cake looked darker (the crust) then the other.... but since then I have gotten a much better oven then the regular range oven.... hope thats helps in claifying how i bake my cakes. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%