They Want A Refund! (Vent)

Decorating By cakesdelight Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm by mom2csc

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:19am
post #1 of 93

Ok so i was hired to make a two tiered cake with a cutom design to match the theme. When I delivered it everyone LOVED the cake! I was happy with the feedback, had them sign the delivery form, took pictures and was on my way... that was 17 days ago!

NOW! I get an email saying that although they were happy with the cake decor and how it matched the theme the cake was raw and are demanding a full refund! they attached a photo to the email so that I may see the raw cake..... well i open the attachment and the slice of cake has a small area where the cake looked condensated... BUT its NOT my cake ..... the slice had no decor on the icing... and my cake had lots of fondant decor on it.... but even if its my cake (which I KNOW ITS NOT) why would they wait 17 dyas to bring it to my attention! wouldn't you call up the person the moment you discovered that the cake was "raw" and demand they bring a cake so that you can serve to your guest and demand a refund at that time???!!!??? not 17 days later! after the cake had been eaten/diegested and god knows what else??!! SO i responded and very professionally and respectfully told them that there's not going to be a refund. they emailed me back saying that I'll be hearing from their attorney... I havent written back (i dont know if I should??); my sister says that I should email her my attorney's information should their attorney need to contact mine. ...? so in that matter i dont know what to do...? BUT there's NOT going to be a refund! the cake slice on the plate was on a different table then what all the tables in the venue where covered with... (see i studied that picture to the tee. The day I delivered the cake, They had pink table clothes and pink paper plates.... the cake slice in the picture was in a black paper plate and the table cloth was white with colorful spots.... I even took pictures of my finsihed cake on the table at the venue and pictures of the venue inside... where you can see the tables... I take lots of pics of everything ) What would you do in this situation???

Sorry this is long but I just needed to get someone elses opinion on this matter..... thanks in advance!

92 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:30am
post #2 of 93

I'd call their bluff and do what your sister said give them your attorneys info; it would really be cool to give it to them before they threaten you again. Beat them at their own game!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:38am
post #3 of 93

I would do as your sister suggested...send them your attorney's info.
I agree that 17 days after the party is too long...should have been done as soon as it was noticed. Had this happen to another cake friend of mine and her husband told her to refund all the money. I told her she should have asked for the uneaten cake back.

Then 2 or 3 weeks later, I set up a wedding cake for her (she was over-booked), set it up and took pictures. The only person that talked with me was the caterer and 2 little girls that were getting under my feet. The mother of the bride called 2 days later and complained that the cake was crooked (did I mention it was set up right beside the door everybody came thru?) and that she tried to talk to me but I ignored her.

Thank goodness I had pictures to show that the cake was set-up properly. While my cake friend was talking with the last lady, she over-heard the first lady in the background telling her what to say.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:05am
post #4 of 93

I wouldn't send her any additional information. If you're certain it wasn't your cake and you don't need to give a refund, you'll be best to just ignore her. You don't have anything else to tell her.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:21am
post #5 of 93

I would send an email straight back along the lines of...

Re: your email dated ..................

"It would be most appropriate for you to issue my Legal Team details as to - On what date was the photo you sent me taken - and at what venue - as i have photos from your event - with no such cake, plates or tablecloths
showing. Should you wish to proceed with this claim - i shall more than willingly contact my legal people and issue them with the photos of the venue/occasion that i made and delivered your cake too..... albeit 17 days ago.

I have printed out the said photo received from you - and that shall accompany my photos.

My legal Team is .................................................
and any further corrospondance from you should be directed through them...

You have nothing to loose -
They will be asked to produce photos from that said venue/event - and an apology should thy be proven to be wrong/ripping you off/scamming you.
In todays world with everyone having mobile phones that take snaps - they can't possibly say - there are no photos.

If the event was at a reception venue - then the company shall also be contacted - for proof.

Don't stress about it - take action and hold your head high. thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:50am
post #6 of 93

People like that are best ignored. Ignore, block their email, and don't waste any more of your time corresponding with them. They'll soon realise you're not falling for it and give up.

What a cheek though! Some people will stoop to anything. thumbsdown.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:08am
post #7 of 93

I would also not respond, that was probably just an idle threat so why stir up the pot

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:21am
post #8 of 93

I agree with Bluehue.. worded perfectly. But before you do anything, do yourself a favour and reopen the photo in question and give it a 'right-click' with your mouse and check on the 'properties'.. you should be able to identify a 'time/date' stamp of when the photo was created! Let us know how you go icon_smile.gif Good luck

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 93

maybe also contact the venue / staff and ask if there were any problems with the cake and if everybody ate it? that's if they remember what happened! Sorry this has happened to you.

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:17pm
post #10 of 93

Please don't spend time worrying about it. I've had something a little similar happen with the customer threatening to come to my house. I sent a reply giving my legal counsel's info and asked her to continue any further communications with them. She wrote one more email demanding $$$ by such and such a date or would destroy my business. I was so scared, however stood my ground and waited for her next move. She didn't do a thing. It's often used as a ploy just to get $$ back. You were smart taking pics, having the sign off completed and taking care of yourself. Don't even lose a night's sleep over this.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 93

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it two more seconds! If I had been threatened by a "you'll hear from my attorney"....I sure as hell wouldn't have anything else to say to them! If you do receive notification from their attorney, just forward it to yours. So sorry this happened to you. I'm wondering if they had another party after yours and are just confused and assumed they got it from you, not remembering they called someone different...that's just weird.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 93

I would send something back like:

Due to the legal nature of your previous email response, all future correspondance must be directed to my lawyer.

Lawyer Contact Info

Sincerely,
XXX

and be done with it. They will know you aren't calling their bluff and they might send back a nasty email but whatever. People do what they do.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

maybe also contact the venue / staff and ask if there were any problems with the cake and if everybody ate it? that's if they remember what happened! Sorry this has happened to you.

This is a very good idea and being married to a police detective I'd tell you to document, document, document! Be sure to write down dates and times and add as many photos as you can possible add.
Better to have too much 'evidence', and not need it, then to not have enough.

On a personal note, I feel they are trying to scam you. Surely if they were dissatisfied with the cake, you should have certainly heard before now. It kind of sounds as if some of the bills have started rolling in, and they are trying to 'recoup', some of the cost.

Perhaps it is a good idea to send them your legal representative information and then perhaps just stay out of it.

My fear for you is this: sometimes we have people that just keep wanting to press issues. It's like arguing with 'flubber'. You press it and it presses back.
I would honestly like to think that if you one up them with your legal team, they would stop their complaint.

Here's a sarcastic thought: Only refund them the price of the serving that was 'undercooked'.
Surely they ate the entire cake!
Just an idea, not necessarily a good one.
Good luck and keep us posted on how this is resolved.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Due to the legal nature of your previous email response, all future correspondance must be directed to my lawyer.

Lawyer Contact Info

Sincerely,
XXX

and be done with it. They will know you aren't calling their bluff and they might send back a nasty email but whatever. People do what they do.

What she said^^^ short & sweet. As in, 'K bye see yah. That's all, folks.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:01pm
post #15 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

Lawyer Contact Info

Sincerely,
XXX

What she said^^^ short & sweet. As in, 'K bye see yah. That's all, folks.

We really need a 'like' button. I'd be clicking it right now! ^^^^^ icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:02pm
post #16 of 93

I wouldn't worry about it. If she wants her money back on a two tier cake she obviously can't afford a lawyer. icon_biggrin.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:04pm
post #17 of 93

Aww, that stinks she has you worried now. My gut feeling is she's scamming you. Why jump right to the lawyer threat?! You responded once with "no refund" and they respond with a threat. Seems overkill to me and a scare tactic.

I totally agree with the right click and check the properties for a date and time stamp! I am so curious what that might reveal.

SO glad you are able to see that the venue tablecloths and plates don't match the event. Even *if* they were to argue that this was taken in the kitchen or at someone's home, it would be hard to argue the fact that the cake was served and eaten the day of the party. The venue can verify that for you. thumbs_up.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:27pm
post #18 of 93

Don't worry about it. She is not going to do anything. . . she probably wants money back on her 2-tiered cake and if that is the case, she is going to spend more money on a lawyer and any other legal fees. The idea of the time stamp on the picture she sent is a great idea and once you see that it was taken on another date and time, you can send her an e-mail with your findings and just to scare her, note that what she is trying to do is fraud. I bet you never hear from her again.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:30pm
post #19 of 93
Quote:

Lawyer Contact Info

Sincerely,
XXX

I agree completely with this. Once someone says the "L" word, its best to let the legal people handle it...

soobsessedwithcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soobsessedwithcake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:48pm
post #20 of 93

Sounds like a bluff to me. I'd leave it alone and not respond back.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #21 of 93

I agree with these. Bluntly, if they want to screw around like with me (and "screw around" was not my first description choice of words!) icon_twisted.gif , Then fine .... I'm VERY good at playing by the rules that OTHER people set!

They think they can scare you with the use of the "L" word. That tactic works both ways. The difference is most businesses really DO have an attorney! icon_twisted.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

Lawyer Contact Info

Sincerely,
XXX

I agree completely with this. Once someone says the "L" word, its best to let the legal people handle it...

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:54pm
post #22 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

Don't worry about it. She is not going to do anything. . . she probably wants money back on her 2-tiered cake and if that is the case, she is going to spend more money on a lawyer and any other legal fees. The idea of the time stamp on the picture she sent is a great idea and once you see that it was taken on another date and time, you can send her an e-mail with your findings and just to scare her, note that what she is trying to do is fraud. I bet you never hear from her again.

I agree completely! I would dig deeper and contact her/him with my findings and turn the tables on these piece or crap people! Uhrr.....these kind of people makes me so mad! That is stealing! If it was me and money was not object, I would send my legal crew after them just to make a point! Put them on the 6:00 news as a warning and example to others that may want to try the same scam! Use them as example !!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
Can you tell how mad I am?
I'm sorry you have to deal with these A****. Just remember, what goes around, comes around. They will get theirs thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm
post #23 of 93

Hubby suggests that your response point out the FRAUD she is using to try to SCAM you out of money and that your attorney will be handling this THREAT of a CON by taking whatever legal action necessary, including damages against your business reputation.

(Bluntly, his opinion was "Oh don't even f*** with this sh*t! Cut her off at the knees right now!")

You have the evidence. She is screwed all the way around. icon_twisted.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:49pm
post #24 of 93

Wouldn't a baker know if the cake is raw inside when they level or torte it?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:31pm
post #25 of 93

Sounds like they suddenly realized they can't afford a huge turkey dinner for 75 of their closest friends for Thanksgiving because they bought that darn cake!

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #26 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hubby suggests that your response point out the FRAUD she is using to try to SCAM you out of money and that your attorney will be handling this THREAT of a CON by taking whatever legal action necessary, including damages against your business reputation.

(Bluntly, his opinion was "Oh don't even f*** with this sh*t! Cut her off at the knees right now!")

You have the evidence. She is screwed all the way around. icon_twisted.gif

I agree with everyone here, and Indydebi as usual icon_biggrin.gif I hate that this person is trying to scam you icon_evil.gif . Stand your ground. This really angers me icon_mad.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm
post #27 of 93

I'd love to see said picture in question (the slice of cake and the OP's photo). I'm sure we all could evaluate it much better than those dumba$$es.
If it were legit 2 things would have happened.
1. An immediate call would have been made to the baker, not 17 days later.
2. A blatant threat would not have been made by the 2nd email. People who protesteth too much....

All the other stuff is gobbily guck.
This situation encourages us to have a time-sensitive complaint policy posted on our websites. I don't have one, but maybe this would be a good idea?

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:46pm
post #28 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That's my kind of business policy!

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:48pm
post #29 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

I'd love to see said picture in question (the slice of cake and the OP's photo). I'm sure we all could evaluate it much better than those dumba$$es.
If it were legit 2 things would have happened.
1. An immediate call would have been made to the baker, not 17 days later.
2. A blatant threat would not have been made by the 2nd email. People who protesteth too much....

All the other stuff is gobbily guck.
This situation encourages us to have a time-sensitive complaint policy posted on our websites. I don't have one, but maybe this would be a good idea?

Very well said. Two weeks later complaints, with bogus pictures,are just not going to be considered . thumbs_up.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #30 of 93

BTW-
another thought from this muddled mind.

Dear PITA Customer~
All additional complaints shall be handled by my lawyer. You may contact them at blah blah blah.

In addition, this complaint may have been handled differently if the issue had been addressed directly after the party. I cannot think of a restaurant/market in the world that will issue a refund on a 17 day old complaint with no evidence other than a questionable photo.

Thank You,
Angry Baker

If I go into McDonalds and tell them that 17 days ago my egg mcmuffin wasn't fully cooked and here's a picture to prove it, they'd laugh at me, hot coffee lawsuit and all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%