Stacking A Tres Leches Cake

Decorating By sleeman789 Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm by sleeman789

sleeman789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeman789 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 12

Help...
I need to stack a Tres Leches cake, this scares me because it is so moist.

Any ideas? or tips?

Thanks in advance!!!

=]

11 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 12

Edna de la cruz has a nice tutorial on youtube on how to stack a cake, eventhough is not tres leches but the way she stacks it looks like it would be very stable...Its called "how to stack a cake..my way!"

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 12

i asked this same quetions several yrs. ago. on this site. i was told NOT TO STACK THIS TYPE OF CAKE. BECAUSE OF IT BEING SO MOIST.i think frankola(c/cer ) said not to and also edna. you can p/m them and ask also.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 12

I have stacked Tres leches 2 high using wooden dowels. The way I doweled it the second tier was entirely supported by the dowels not the cake below. Obviously I didn't transport it like that.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 12

As long as you use support for every 3-4" of vertical cake you should be able too. That is as long as your recipe can be stacked 3-4" high to begin with. The cake below is not what supports the upper tiers, the supports and boards is what supports the cake.

Now since it is a fragile cake i would NOT transport stacked, i would definitely stack on site if you're going somewhere else with it.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 12

I have successfully stacked and transported a tres leches cake (up to four tiers) I use SPS, but I also only used half the milk to soak the cake. (it was still very moist) The cakes were always transported after being refridgerated overnight, and were put right into refrigeration at the venue. I would never leave a cake like this out for more then an hour or so...so maybe when it warms up you would have issues?

Wasn't Jenna Bush's cake a tres leches?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I have successfully stacked and transported a tres leches cake (up to four tiers) I use SPS, but I also only used half the milk to soak the cake. (it was still very moist) The cakes were always transported after being refridgerated overnight, and were put right into refrigeration at the venue. I would never leave a cake like this out for more then an hour or so...so maybe when it warms up you would have issues?

Wasn't Jenna Bush's cake a tres leches?

Yep. This is why I know it can be done. icon_smile.gif But I have no advice.

icer101 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 12

using half the milk with the other posters comment was why she could i assume. these cakes are very very moist making it like the recipes say. that is what i was going by. I make these cakes also, but right by the recipe. which makes them really wet. good luck with your cakes and stacking them and delivering. them. let us know how you did with it.

icer101 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 12
sleeman789 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you all sooooo much for your help!
I will mush everything you said together and try it out!!!

I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks!
Shianne

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 6:24am
post #11 of 12

i also havea question having to do with the tres leche cake....can it be covered in fondant???? i have a friend that would like a tres leche cake decorated for her mom birthday but i have never done one covered in fondant or decorated or anything...pls help me

sleeman789 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 12

Hello Everyone!!!
I DID IT!!!! It worked out great!! I used a lot of support but it looked great! Thank you everyone for the tips!

Vaniti716- I would be afraid to use fondant on a tres leches cake... its so moist the fondant may turn gooey and not very pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%