Putting Fondant On Edible Paper

Decorating By AnnGeeV Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm by DianeLM

AnnGeeV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnGeeV Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

Good Morning Ladies,

I am making a groom's cake for one of my co-worker. It 's an open bible book and I wanted to do the lettering in fondant. Do you think I should use edible paper as a filter between the fondant and butter cream or fondant icing? I was thinking this might help with reducing the colors bleeding into each other on the cake. I am very new at this and was just thinking this might help...

Also do you know how long I should keep/use edible paper? I brought some from the store last night, however, the wedding is not until Saturday and I wanted to make sure the paper would last.

Thanks in advance Sisters,

Angie

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 5

There's no need for a 'filter'. If your letters are going to bleed on the bc, they'll bleed on the paper too. But, unless you're using an absolutely insane amount of coloring and you somehow get the letters wet, you needn't worry about bleeding.

What kind of edible paper did you buy? Rice/wafer paper? Or frosting sheets? If it's rice or wafer paper, just store it in a plastic bag. It'll last pretty much forever.

AnnGeeV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnGeeV Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the information DianeLM. I will save the paper for another use.

I brought it from Shopper's so I believe it' frosting sheets. Thanks again for helping out. It's the kind that grocery stores uses for their cakes. They sold me 2 sheets for my open book cake.

AnnGeeV

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 5

If you add a small amount of tylose to your fondant when you add your color it will help tighten the fondant and your letters will dry firm. Crusting buttercream helps too. Be careful if putting the decorated cake in the frig. condensation once removed may cause problems, it does here in Fla. humidity heaven.... icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 5

Frosting sheets don't last forever. icon_smile.gif Keep them tightly sealed in a ziploc bag. If they become brittle, place a damp paper towel in a sandwich bag, don't seal it, and place it in the bag with the frosting sheets. You don't want the moisture to touch the sheets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%