What Type Of Cake Should I Use?

Decorating By pinkwhisk Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 6:32pm by pinkwhisk

pinkwhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkwhisk Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

What type of cake is best to use with fondant? I have just been using mixes but they seem to either dry out or cause a big ripple in my cakes.

Also, do you think that baking on a Thurs for a Sunday party is too early? Will the cake stay fresh if it gets Fondant on Fri?

4 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:56am
post #2 of 5

Your first question probably doesn't have an answer, people use whichever suits them.

Baking on a thursday and putting fondant on a friday is probably perfect. The fondant will seal in the moisture, and it will probably improve by sitting there a couple of days - perfect.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:57am
post #3 of 5

do you have any pitures? i think the ripple will be due to the cake settling and filling moving, not because you used a box mix. although its possible, some box mixes are very soft. anyway, you might want to damn your filling, and give the cake longer to settle.

as for will the cake be ok, it depends on the cake. try it your self and see. as long as you dont leave the cake exposed to air, it should be fine.
xx

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:14am
post #4 of 5

Cakes need to settle after frosted before fondant, preferably over night. I would bake on Thursday, fill and frost on Friday and fondant and decorate on Saturday. Most likely ripples are from settling and dry cake may be from overbaking

pinkwhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkwhisk Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 5

How exactly do you dam the layers? Is that just a super thick version of your filling around the edges?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%