Advice On Flowers Please

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 3:28am by luckystar23

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 4

I'm just wondering what everyone makes their flowers out of when they are to be placed on a wedding cake or on wedding cupcakes? I'm wanting to make some floral cupcakes topped with fondant for my grandma's birthday, but I don't know if I should use gum paste, fondant, or a mix of both. Last time I tried mmf with some tylose kneaded in, and my item did not dry as hard as I wanted it to, nor did it hold it's shape. Also, how would I attach the flowers on top of the cupcakes? Would I stick them in with wires or use royal icing to glue them in place?
Thank you so much in advance for any responses! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:34am
post #2 of 4

I use just straight store bought gumpaste. That stuff dries in an instant. I would add maybe a tiny bit of fondant to make it not dry as fast, but still dry by the time you need it too.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:02am
post #3 of 4

I think it depends on what type of flowers you're planning to make for your grandma's birthday. Some flowers would look best on wires and others without, some would look best using gumpaste and others with a 50/50 mix of gumpaste/fondant, and some would look just fine using buttercream or royal icing. (Although, I don't think it's necessary to use wired flowers in cupcakes.) Another thing to consider is what you are best at, most comfortable making, or which medium is convenient.

luckystar23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckystar23 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 4

I love gumpaste as well for all my edible figures and images

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%