How Long Does Mmf Last?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 3:42pm by GenGen

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hey everyone, I usually make Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and I love it, but I have a batch made from Oct 18 and am wondering if it's okay to use for a cake this weekend or if I should just make a new one. Anyone know how long the MMF is good for? I keep it wrapped and "cool", but not in the fridge.

10 replies
Dbond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dbond Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 11

That is a good question. I made a batch of the buttercreme flavored MMF back in October, too, but I put mine in the fridge, and there it has sat all this time. I am thinking about adding mint flavoring to it, and then rolling it out and making mints out of it, then dipping in melted chocolate for
Christmas candy. With all of that sugar in it, I would think that it would be well preserved-don't know if it hurts the texture for using to frost a cake after having been in the fridge all of this time.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:33am
post #3 of 11

i've never made rhonda's mmf i make another one thats on here- but it keeps for months even non refrigerated! just keep it nice and coated with crisco, wrapped tight- ziplocked and in a nice cool place-

Dbond Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 11

I was wondering if it broke down after awhile and wouldn't be workable if kept for months-but you say to put a coating of crisco on it--what does that do for the fondant?

ladybluebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybluebird Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:37am
post #5 of 11

I've noticed that if I keep a good layer of crisco on the fondant and roll it up real well with plastic wrap and then put it in a ziploc baggie, it lasts for months. The crisco helps give it a protective layer to keep it from drying out. I also put a thin layer on my fondant that I temporarily put aside while I'm working on it to keep it from drying out.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 11

I use Rhonda's ultimate MMF all the time and have kept it in my pantry for months. Recently I decided not to use some left over after 4 months - that was pushing it.... It starts to get a bit of an 'old' taste. But 2-3 months is fine (as long as you use the Realemon and not real lemon juice).

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:54am
post #7 of 11

I usually make a ton of MMF and store in in 3 lb "bags" coat with crisco, saran wrap it then ziplock it, and then store my 3 lb bags in an airtight bucket (that my satin ice comes in). Now I do make a ton of cakes so this does go pretty fast, but it keeps forever, months and months - I just make sure I don't open the bags until I am ready to use that particular 3 pounds. I also do colored fondant this way, I just keep all my store bought buckets (my 2 lb. gumpaste bucket is perfect for black fondant). It keeps forever.

Dbond Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:08am
post #8 of 11

I use the buttercream fondant recipe I found on this site, it doesn't call for lemon or real lemon, but it does call for buttering the bowl used in the microwave to melt the marshmallos. Would the butter used to grease the bowl be preserved by the sugar, or will it go rancid after awhile? It just gets so "iffy" when it comes to food safety-wouldn't want a whole wedding party sick with something because of what they ate that I made.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone for your replies! icon_smile.gif I will definitely use the stuff I have then, save myself some work hehe icon_biggrin.gif
Not sure about buttering the sides of the bowl, as I always use Crisco for that too.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 11

I have MMF fondant that is over a year old and will still use it for decorations. If I am covering an entire cake or cookies though I will not use my "old" stuff, I will make new if it is more than a couple months old. icon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 11

you asked about what the coating of crisco does for it for storage= it keeps it from drying out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%