Fondant/gumpast Figures

Decorating By SummerSweets Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 11:01pm by steffiessweet_sin_sations

SummerSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SummerSweets Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hey all I have an order for a children's Christmas cake. I am new to selling my cakes. The lady requested a 9X13" sheet cake (white cake with buttercream frosting) and gave me creative control icon_lol.gif Well after doing some brainstorming I came up with some ideas, but I'm not sure how to price according to the details.
The simplest idea is a little scene with fondant/gumpaste penguins... I've seen other cakes with this same theme so I was wondering how much you guys charge for a cake with figures on it.
How do you figure the price?
I've seen the pricing matrixes and other charts but I'm new to all this and they don't really make sense to me. icon_redface.gif

5 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 6

Hey! icon_smile.gif

For the cake - if minimal decorations - and if you're new and still learning, depending where you live - I charge per slice. It could be anywhere from $2.00-$10.00
For Fondant - it could be anywhere from $4.00+ per slice

When I am asked to do gumpaste figures or flowers I charge per figure. (If you are comfortable with your work)

I have had an order similar before - but since I personally had never made a figure, and wasn't comfortable I just charged them for the gumpaste and food coloring.
I made the Star Trek Cast - with a teddy bear tutorial !! LOL They turned out very cute! icon_razz.gif

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 6

When I have creative control and I decide on a design with figures, I don't charge extra. If a figure(s) are requested, I charge per item $5 - $20 each depending on the difficulty.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #4 of 6

I haven't starting charging a set price for gumpaste figures yet. I know the standard for the industry is $5- $20 per figure, but if I broke this down for any of the people that have bought cakes from me they would have a hissy fit. LOL.

If you want to do the penguins, just charge an extra $20-$30 but you don''t have to tell the customer that she paid $5 for each penguin.

Since you are just beginning just make sure that you are chargin enough to cover the materials. I made this mistake several times because I just didn't realize how fast everything added up. You materials for this cake could easily be $50...so if you only charge $60 you obviously aren't making anything.

Good luck, can't wait to see pics.

SummerSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SummerSweets Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys! Yeah I didn't like the idea of charging her for the figures since it was my design, but I know that I will lose money if I don't. I will probably charge just enough to cover the costs or giver her a cheaper option too. I will get to practice some this weekend... My neice wants a Hawaiian cake with monkeys on it. I'm pretty excited!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 6

summer, how are u making the monkeys?? i need to make a baby shower cake in feb that has monkeys and i have no clue how to make them! when u make them will u show me? thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%