Cake Ball - Binders? Icing Or Creamer

Baking By vlk Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 1:47pm by vlk

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 8

Just wondering what works better - and is it just the taste that you would be altering?

I've made them in the past with icing, and they seem really sweet but then again they were dry and not as moist as all the recipes said they were?

TIA -

Vicki

7 replies
Levh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Levh Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 8

I always using icing. Mine are sweet and very moist. It all depends on the amount of icing you put in with them.

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 8

i use coffee creamer and the cake balls are 'wet' they are so moist, which is how i like them. I actually havent even heard of making them with icing so I have no clue how they turn out with icing. But I like them alot with coffee creamer! plus you can choose your flavor and you dont have to make it!

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 8

I don't use any binder. My cake is always moist enough to hold itself together. But I like the idea of coffee creamer better than icing. Icing would be too sweet, by the time you dip them in chocolate. JMO

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 8

I don't usually use a binder either. I find that when I add a liquid it becomes much, which is not so nummy. The chocolate is my frosting. icon_smile.gif

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 8

my husband says it tastes like soggy cake, but i dont think about it being cake-like or else the idea sounds mushy too, but i find that most people (besides my husband)like my cake balls and I actually now get requests to make them where ususally i am just making them to use up cake scraps! i make minty ones, strawberry ones, peanut butter ones, chocolate, white chocolate... my German exchange student loves the strawberry ones with white chocolate! i typically use hazelnut or french vanilla coffee creamer.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 8

You can also try using just plain cream cheese, no sugar added or anything. It works nicely with about any flavour. You get the moistness, but not the sweetness.

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 8

WOW !

All sounds great, and I guess it is all in the "eater" of the cake balls as to what you use.
I will try the creamer next time and see if anyone notices the difference -

Sometimes, I have found that I do not have to use anything, the cake seems very moist and rolls nicely - but in the end, the balls seem to fall apart when I go to try to dip them (what a huge mess that was!)

Looking at all the beautiful pictures of the cake balls, and then looking at mine? Holly Molly - I could not even give them away! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%