How Long Will A Cake Last In The Refrgerator?

Decorating By pheonix31571 Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 7:19pm by pheonix31571

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hi I need to know how to make my cakes and still keep them fresh for a few days before I decorate them. Any ideas or suggestions would help
thank you so much for your time = )

Linda icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 9

it will last longer on the counter than it will in the fridge! refridgeration speeds up the process of the cake going stale. (in theory, if its properly sealed it should be fine - but why bother unless you have a perishable filling?) honeslty, a few days on the counter is fine.
xx

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 9

ditto. refrigerating a cake is not good for it

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 9

When my cakes are still a bit warm I wrap them in saran wrap or press and seal what ever i have and put them in the freezer for a few days. When I pull them out and thaw them and decorate them, they still taste as good as if they were made that day. icon_smile.gif

As just an occasional Baker, who only makes cakes for friends, and co-workers mostly. I make cakes in steps nights after I get out of work. I don't have the time to do the whole process in one day sometimes even two days.

Sometimes when I have spare time I bake a cake and put it in the freezer, that way when a friend calls last minute I have something.

Periwinkle_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periwinkle_ Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 9

If you make a fruit cake then you can store it for few weeks. It tastes better as it ages.
You need to sprinke rum over it regularly. I read a very good recipe on the following link in which it is described beautifully how to store the cake for a long time.

http://decoratingandcookingforchristmas.com/content/fruit-cake-recipe

I hope this helps

elliegails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliegails Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 9

I don't refrigerate, but I agree with the freezer.

pheonix31571 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 9

thumbs_up.gif That bad thing is I never have room in my freezer. I guess the counter will have to do.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 9

The freezer space thing made me laugh. When I know I have a cake coming up, I like to go through my freezer and make sure to eat what's in there so I have room to put the cake!

pheonix31571 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 9

It worked great I made my cake a day ahead and put it in the freezer overnight. I pulled it out and thawed it a couple hours and it was just as fresh when i baked it. Thank you so much for sharing your advice you have given me the freedom to start early and not try to make everything in 2 days thumbs_up.gif

Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%