Cardboard Sheets For Cakes

Decorating By kattyann Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 6:16pm by kattyann

kattyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kattyann Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know where I can order heavy cardboard for half and full sized cakes? I make alot of those cakes and I have a problem with the icing cracking if the cardboard isn't thick enough. I have been cutting boxes up to use and I'm having a hard time finding them now.
Thanks for your help.
Kattyann

10 replies
vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 11

kattyann -

I don't use cardboard, I use foam board - covered in contact paper.
Michael's has them on sale everyonce in awhile, and throw in the coupons - I try to pick up several each time.
You can cut them any size you need.

HTH -

Vicki

kattyann Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 11

Wouldn't that crack with a heavy cake? Would the cost add too much to the price of the cake?
Thanks for your reply.

vlk Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 11

You can double it up... buy even the thick piece of foam board if necessary - but all in all I NEVER have a problem with my cakes.
As for the cost - its like $1 board - when on sale - $3 otherwise, you never use a whole sheet so half of that is $1.50 for a nice sturdy cake board! Hands down, no question I would do that.

I also think that the card board looks "cheaper" and the cake board is part of the over all cake display - whats a dollar, to know that your cake will not crack, the customer will appreciate the extra time spent on the display and you can cover with contact paper or fondant.

kattyann Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for your reply. I will check it out. I normally cover my boards with white freezer wrap. Next time I'm out I will definitely try it. I've checked on line for cardboard and it would be fairly expensive going that route. I've been decorating for almost 40 years and I'm sick of cutting cardboard. It's my least favorite job. I'd rather do dishes!!!

vlk Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 11

Ouch.. I bet cutting card board is a real pain.
Sometimes, I think covering the board and picking out the right shape/size to cut is a chore! I plan out my week, and have all the boards done one night - marking the bottom with the customer name/date of delivery - I also glue a business card to the bottom.

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 11

I'm on a tight budget, what could I buy at the hardware store to use as a sturdy cake board? TIA

cherylgeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherylgeorge Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 11

Hello, I found Foam board at the the Dollar Stores !!! so I stock up on them !

kattyann Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 11

I will check out the dollar store. I do a bunch of cakes! Do they have large sizes? Full sheet would have to be 20"X26". I can't believe Wilton makes such small cakeboards. There isn't enough room to put borders on the cakes. If I can get them cheap enough I can bump up the price without losing business. I haven't charged enough as it is.
Thanks
Kattyann

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 11

Try the Dollar Tree. They normally carry the foam core boards and they are always $1. When I find them there, I just buy the whole case. They are not the thicker boards, but for the price, I can double them. I use the double sided tape squares that are intended for scrapbooking between the layers and then also use the tape squares to put the foil paper over the top of the board before I put the clear contact paper. It really dresses them up. As far as the size, they are 20" X 30". I can noramlly get 2 boards out of each. HTH

kattyann Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks. I will be shopping today and check those out. I may just have my family get those for Christmas! Easy for them and me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%