Realistic Eyeballs?

Decorating By kcassano Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 7:24pm by FrostedFantasies

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone know how to make eyeballs that look realistic? i've got a dog cake to make this week, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas...

4 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 5

The best way to make eyes look "real" is to be sure they either have a life light (the little white dot that shows light reflecting on the eyeball) either drawn on or use a fondant or gumpaste cut out to represent that.

Alternatively, you could use a medium that is shiny and creates a "real" life light because of the real time reflection going on ie) poured sugar or piping gel.

Here's an example of the animated type. Now this is 2-D and obviously a cartoon, but you can see the life light I'm referring to...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1872328&sub=1872331

Here's an example of the shiny type. I did on a 3-D cake to look like real animal eyes. I used black piping gel for this. You can see how you get a life light from the natural shine of the gel...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1673381&sub=1673382

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 5

thanks! has anyone made the eyeballs out of fonant, and then brushed them with vodka to make them shiny and glass-like? wondering if this would work. hmmmm...

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 5

That's a good idea. Maybe experiment with a little fondant and see. You could always steam them too...

FrostedFantasies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedFantasies Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 5

I brushed the fondant too, to make a monkey's eyes look "real," but then as suggested I also put a TINY dab of colored piping gel in the middle--made all the difference in the world!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%