Recommend Some Nice Gumpaste Tools, Please?

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm by -K8memphis

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:18am
post #1 of 10

Just as the title says- would like some recommendations for some nice gumpaste tools. I've heard very mixed reviews on the wilton ones, and have seen some who use metal tools that look very nice, but I don't know the maker.

9 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:15am
post #2 of 10

PME ones are good. (Yellow handles/white ends)

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 7:52am
post #3 of 10

\\\\I agree with Coral PME are good thumbs_up.gif

SweetTreatstoEat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatstoEat Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 10

The Wilton ones are good, I also went in Michaels or Hobby Lobby where they sell the clay...They have good tools too...they work just as well as Wilton, but cheaper, lol, they have metal and plastic

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 10

I have the Wilton ones, because they come in a set and I wanted to have as many as I could. But lots of people prefer the metal ones, even though they're more expensive. You can find metal ones at global sugar art, I think.

Here's another thread about what's needed:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-54056-0-days0-orderasc-.html

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 10

Invest in the PME tools. They are top grade and a little more expensive, but WELL worth the $$.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 10

I prefer the metal ball tool but the other Wilton gumpaste tools work great and you can get them with a coupon. Use the money you save with the coupon and then order the metal ball tool online.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 10

The Wilton set is a nice basis for starting a gum paste tool set. I still have mine from who knows when I bought it. There are some really nice qualities to it too. Metal cutters are nice but they need a lip on one edge so it doesn't cut you too.

The Wilton tool set is a good starter set. The book not so much.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 10

I have the basic Wilton ones. I don't really like them. That's why I'm looking for nicer ones. Thanks for the suggestions!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 10

Oh I thought 'hearing mixed reviews' meant they were being considered. It's a good set of tools. What's not to like.

The trigger for purchasing gum paste tools is what flower do you want to make. Seriously all the gum paste tools are cool.

I mean you don't even have to have special cutters to make great flowers. Veiners are pretty nice to have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%