Airbrush Or Edible Image Printer?

Decorating By tamicat49 Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 1:59am by tamicat49

tamicat49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamicat49 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 7

I have a few extra $$$. Would like to invest in either airbrush or edible image printer. I don't have experience with either one but want to learn. Which one do you like to do better & why? Any info will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help. Also, which brand of either would you recommend?

6 replies
shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 7

I really love my airbrush and use it on almost every cake but i so badly want a edible image printer and have been hinting to my husband. crossing my fingers that will be my christmas present this year.....lol for now i just go to smiths and have images made when i need them which is only on occasion so i would have to say the airbrush. mine is nothing fancy i just got a small starter one called a magic mist its used more for small volume bakeries which was perfect for me and i did not spend a fortune it gets the job done well.

tamicat49 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your input. I am leaning more towards the airbrush because I think it would be fun & I like the airbrushed cakes I have seen. Where did you get your magic mist? on line or in a store? I really don't know anything about either but I think I would probably use the airbrush more than edible images.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 7

I have both and I use my edible printer a LOT more than the airbrush. I would use the airbrush more but I find it just makes such a mess of my kitchen. The colour particles gets suspended in the air and hang there forever, so no matter how well you mop your floor and clean your surfaces, an hour later you have to do it again. Not to mention the technicolor effect you have when you blow your nose. I need to have an airbrushing cabinet made before I use my airbrush more. I love my edible printer, I have had a lot of use for it.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 7

I have both and use the airbrush 95% of the time. The edible image printer is nice if you need to put someones photograph on the cake, but how often do you do that? The EIP will need to be run weekly even if you just print out a test sheet to stop the heads from blocking. I hardly use mine and i know when i do go to use it it will take some work and cleaning to get it running properly again, and thats if it will run properly at all. Look at what kinds of cakes you make, which could you use more. Also if you dont have the EIP then you can get most prints made at a local bakery, you can hardly take your cake in and ask to borrow their airbrush.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 7

Defintely an airbrush hands down..I have had mine now for several years and use it on every cake.I bought an edible image printer in the spring.I have had it for 6 months and spent well over $400.00 on a printer,inks,EI paper etc and I just threw the dam thing out in the recycle bin after it got so messed up I couldn't fix the coloring etc. on it!! I had problems from day one with the inks and the colors were not vibrant and I held my breathe everytime it printed to make sure it came out right..Not very often!! I may have just gotten a lemon as many have had great success with an EI printer and I did like the ease and versitlity of it but it was just not cost effective for me.I think you would get more use from an airbrush.JMO

tamicat49 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:59am
post #7 of 7

Thanks. Is there a good airbrush system to get. I don't know anything about them but I want one that will be worth the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%