My Car Was Broken Into/vandalized

Lounge By BethLS Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 1:35pm by -K8memphis

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys....

So, my poor new car (well, new to me, but still sorta new, its a 2008 Impala) was broken into on Thursday night/Friday morning. I don't know when...icon_sad.gif

The jerks kicked in my garage door, and took a pry bar to BOTH the front and rear driver side doors. When the couldn't wedge the doors open with that, they decided to break windows. Two windows are completely toast...and the paint is down to shiny metal on no less than 3-4 square feet. The rear driverside door is so tweaked...I dont know if it'll need to be replaced, or if they can bend it back.

They took my Coach purse, 500$ cash. (I was going to the bank in the AM to pay my mortgage) BUT the theives did NOT take my new TomTom GPS on the dash. Go figure?

So the massive amounts of low voltage pathway lights didnt deter them. The three ostentatious garage lights (on the outside of it) didn't deter them. The locked garage door didn't do it...neither did the locked car. What in the heck is this world coming to? Oh, and by the way, I live in a population 500 village. The nearest "big town" is 30-40 minutes away.

I have Geico car insurance, and I have to take my car to their nearest body shop on Tuesday. I hope I don't get screwed in the process...I am very fearful! Of course my 1,000 deductible isn't helping my fears...I'm praying that they'll waiver or cover some of it, somehow.

If you could spare some good thoughts, especially on Tuesday at 1:30pm, I'd surely appareciate it. I know its "just a car". I ended up buying some security things yesterday at Lowes...hope they work, because I don't need the jerks coming back and doing anything worse!

Oh, and want to know the funny thing? A hunter apparently found my purse Friday night, and called me brother, who called me. We went and got it on the railroad tracks in town. (less than 2 mils from my house) Everything was left intact, including my bank card (but canceed it anyway) but of course sans cash. The hunter was afraid to even touch my purse, for fear that someone was murdered. How SAD is that? This world....<sigh>

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 8

Is your garage attached to the house? You're lucky they didn't come into the house too while you were sleeping. It sounds like they made a lot of noise while they were doing it. It also sounds like they were either the most inept car burglars ever or they had a personal grudge against you...I've never heard of that much damage being done in a simple car break-in.

You may want to see if your homeowner's insurance will cover the contents of your purse...sometimes they do.

Oh, those solar pathway lights, if that's what you've got...they usually run out of juice by about 2 am. I've noticed that not just with mine but with my neighbors...when it first gets dark you can see a lot of little lights everywhere, but come home in the middle of the night and they're all off.

I know car insurance varies by state, but usually you can choose what shop you take your car to, so if the one the insurance sends you to doesn't look like a reputable shop, find out if you can take it to a different one.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Texas!

Yes, I really do believe it was a grudge...we have an IDEA of who it may have been, but no proof.

Our pathway lights are low-voltage (ie they get electricity) NOT solar.

Thankfully our home is not connected to the garage...the garage IS in front of the house. The door they broke into is just a few feet from our bedroom window...and we heard nothing.

Yes thankfully our homeowners is paying for my purse contents (some of , yay!) and the garage door damage, and the misc. stolen stuff. Get this, they also took some of my kids Xmas presents that were in my car...Jerks!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif That stinks!!! I hope you catch those creeps and they do some jail time! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:26am
post #5 of 8

Sorry this happened to you...I know it makes you feel very violated. If you haven't already done so, file a police report asap. Start getting estimates as your insurance adjuster will want you to do this. You do not have to go to a shop that geico recommends to get your vehicle fixed, you are free to go where you please. If your vehicle is not drivable does your policy cover a rental vehicle? Most do, and will cover the cost of a vehicle similar to the vehicle it is replacing. You DO NOT need to buy additional insurance from the rental place, your personal auto policy will cover your rental. Is your comp deductible really 1k? That is very high, even for a collision deductible. Most comp deds are 50, 250, or 500. Why would you think they would waive the deductible in this case? V&MM is a comp claim, period. If they find the perps at some point in the future, they may subrogate and try to get their (and your) money back....but if they have no money, well, blood from a turnip. Ok, sorry, more bad news. The personal prop in your vehicle will not be covered by your auto policy. You will have to file a claim another claim on your HO insurance, subject to another deductible. You may really want to think about this one, because if you get a couple of little HO claims, it will flag underwriting and you may get your policy xcelled.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:36am
post #6 of 8

Oh, just reread your msg...looks like you have to file a HO claim for dmgs to your home anyway. Do you will have your receipt for the Coach? Start compiling estimates (vehicle and garage) and gathering receipts for the personal property now as this will help to expedite your claim. LMK if I can help you in any way.
Cathy

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 8

You should definitely tell the cops what your suspicions are, even if you have no real "proof."

I used to intern at the district attorney's office (I'm a law student), and while they can't to much to actually CATCH the guys, they DO really take into account how motivated the victim when they are deciding what kind of plea deal to offer (almost every case ends up in a plea). If it were me, when they caught those jerks, I would be bugging that assistant DA that was handling it every day about how I wanted the maximum sentence and I would not be satisfied with probation or a slap on the wrist. Good luck, at least it seems you may not be too out of pocket for this, but the hassle and violation of your personal space is truly horrible!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 8

Yes it does sound personal--so sorry that happened.

Sure been there--nice you got your purse back!!!!

(((((giant hug)))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%