When Making A Tall Cake - 4 Layers..

Decorating By morrisaz2004 Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm by mom2twogrlz

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a tall cake (just one tier) in the shape of a glass. I will be stacking and carving a 4"/5"/6"/7" to look like a milk glass. How do I support this? I have tried this in the past and even with a middle dowel, the cake either sinks into each other or goes lopsided. Do I put a cardboard support before I put on the 3rd layer? I just can't seem to get this "tall" thing right and it's driving me crazy!! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much!

5 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 6

You need a cardboard support for every 4 inches of cake, with sufficient dowels underneath. I would use at least 4 dowels for the bottom tiers, in addition to a central dowel. Hope that made sense!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 6

I agree. good luck and show us pic!! thumbs_up.gif

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 6

I'm a bit confused. If the bottom of the cake is only 4" around and the top is 7", how in the world am I going to get 4 dowels, plus a center dowel into the cake that is so narrow at the bottom?? I think this type of cake is my "challenge". Lol!

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe you can get away with only 3 small dowels spaced in a triangle with room for the center dowel to come through the middle. Each tier should only have to support the weight of the tier above it.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6

I think going from 4 inches to 7 inches might be a little too much of an angle. Maybe go from 4 to 6, that wouldn't be as drastic. And support each layer with dowels, I usually use 3 straws each layer in a triangle pattern. Then center dowel the whole thing, making sure your dowel goes into your final board or it could still topple. Also, if you are covering with fondant I have found it is easier to go from small to big, so maybe turn your cake over and cover it from bottom to top and the very top with a circle. Since it is a cup design that would work fine, the seam would look intentional. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%