Oh, What A Busy Day...

Lounge By cabecakes Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 9:44pm by TheCakerator

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:51am
post #1 of 6

I have been working all day on our early Thanksgiving dinner for tomorrow. We have our Thanksgiving with our kids the weekend before, so they can have Thanksgiving with their own families and not have to spend the day running everywhere. It works out rather well. So far I have made a 25 pound turkey, oyster stuffing, blueberry cheesecake, raspberry cheesecake, cookies and cream cheesecake, and homemade bread. I may also try making some homemade noodles. Everyone brings a little something, this keeps cost down for everyone. Does anyone else do this?

5 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

We have never done this, but as the family grows, it is a good idea.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 6

We are doing ours Thursday but I have my assignment--my daughter is so together--I'm doing rolls, apple pie and this brocolli slaw--all our traditional recipes.

I love the 'everybody bring something' kind--even those who don't cook can get drinks or a pretty centerpiece.

Hope you have a wonderful wonderful warm and treasured time.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 6

As the family grows we will do about the same for Thanksgiving. That's the sort of thing we do at Christmastime, now.
-
Broccoli slaw?
Did a little search, is it anything like this recipe? It looks interesting.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/broccoli-slaw/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smitten/3522157333/sizes/l/in/photostream/

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 6

Here's the recipe--it's a love it or hate it type of thing.
We fight over leftovers and sniffle when it's gone. icon_biggrin.gif

Broccoli Slaw

head of brocolli
head of cauliflower
1 cup pecans
red onion
water chestnuts
half cup raisins (I use more)
bottle of Hormel bacon bits

Dressing
one cup miracle whip or mayonaise
quarter cup sugar
two tablespoons apple cider vinegar

I chop off the very tops of the brocolli so it's all these little green dots. And the same for the cauliflower--you shave off the tops of each little caulibunch and the cauliflower will fall into little kibble & bits.

Then I dice the red onion fine.

I put the raisins in the food processor and add some vinegar so they will get chopped up real good.

Chop the water chestnuts and the pecans- not too small

I tweak the vinegar and sugar and raisins so it's real twangy.

My brother does his in the food processor and he uses all the head of brocolli and cauliflower. I like mine to be chopped and just use the tops of the heads but there's no right or wrong to it. But if I used the whole head of brocolli I would peel off the outer pithy layers before processing. I use a potato peeler and get a strip started from the bottom and then just pull it off all the way up.

But I think you loose a little by food processing the whole thing. Since it's all small bits I like it better hand chopped so you can see the distinction between all the colors.

There it is!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 6

as our family continues to grow and more people end up at my grandmas for Thanksgiving we all bring a little something for dinner. This year we are in charge of sweet potato casserole and stuffing. Oh and my husband is going to try and make a cranberry relish that a local restaurant makes that he absolutely loves. I can't wait ... I love my family and I love how loud we can get .. its great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%