Not The Night I Expected!

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 7:00am by Love2BakeCakes

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:32am
post #1 of 15

Making a two tier cake as a gift for a bride to be, shower tomorrow.

12x4 tier and 9x4 tier baked yesterday, sat overnight, crumbcoated 11am today. Nice afternoon out with family. By 8pm, all fondant decs cut and ready. Sat to watch part of a movie. 9pm, son says, "Mom, the cake broke!" No, not broken, 1/2 OF LARGE TIER GONE AND ICING LICKED OFF OF ONE PART OF SMALL TIER! 9:45 Home from Walmart and grocery store. Thank goodness they are close!

Just got large layers out of oven, 9" layers just in. New batch of icing made and ready- had enough fillings left for both flavors.

Can't skip Sunday School- I'm in charge of practicing for kids' Christmas show, and have to teach my class. Will have to skip church- can't see any other way.

Needless to say, the dogs have been in their crates since 9pm, and will be till cake is out of the house tomorrow afternoon!

14 replies
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:51am
post #2 of 15

Poor Icubed! (((((HUGS))))) to you! I used to have a very bad dog, who ate his fair share of desserts sitting on the counter - which in turn cost me so much time and sanity. The funny thing is - is that now that he's passed on (2 yrs. now) our family loves to tell stories about all the horrible things he did and we just laugh and laugh about it now.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:55am
post #3 of 15

So sorry this happened to you, I hope you don't have any more problems. I know pets can be a pain sometimes, but you still gotta love em. You'll be laughing about this soon. Just not right now...no not right now. Have a great day!

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:42am
post #4 of 15

The crazy thing is, we were sitting not 6 feet away, and never noticed! Sneaky! New tiers are all baked now and cooling. Guess it's time to go crumb coat the first round!

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:58am
post #5 of 15

OK, back to where I was 6 hours ago! Going to bed, the SS, then will through on a top coat of icing and the decorations. I have about 3 hours from getting home to heading out to deliver. Gotta get myself ready for the party too! Or maybe I'll just head back home to bed!

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:04am
post #6 of 15

I feel for you. I only hobby bake now that we have two cats. I made two pistachio cakes for work (my preggo co worker loves them..) and I was so afraid of them jumping onto the counter and getting into them while they were cooling that I put them in a top cupboard! They are ninja kitties - in and out before you know it!

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 15

The culprits!!! [Shoot, can't get picture to attach!]

Cake is done, in the car. Will get pics at the party when I get the cookies on top! Tired, but pleased.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 15

Ninja kitties and doggies!

Good one, MollyG!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:37am
post #9 of 15

OH dear! You poor thing.. eeeek!! I have to have a giggle though.. I read your first post as though your son ate half a 9" cake and licked the icing off the other one lol.. got to the end and read about the dogs in crates and thought -"that's kind of odd locking your dogs in crates when it was the son who ate the cake?!!" Bit of a Homer 'doh' moment on my behalf. Gosh it's a bakers worst nightmare that type of disaster at the last minute. Glad it all turned out ok in the end.. can't wait to see pics icon_smile.gif

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:56am
post #10 of 15

I can only imagine how you felt. I have one dog who knows when Im baking so Im always afraid she will help herself. Our furry family members can be sneaky.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:20am
post #11 of 15

isnt that how they are!! my dogs always know when i am baking!!!!! and they are not ever allowed in the kitchen, they know this, and the only time they will try to sneak in is when i have a cake in the oven!!!! when i was practicing my dog cake, HA, for a party for my neice, i had to practice using the pan ect, and then practiced the icing. looked great, and of course the family wanted to eat it, so they all cut pieces, and i wnt to get me a piece, and the only thing left was its head!!! i asked um did u guys eat all of this????? they all said no, of course not. and then my chocolate lab comes sneaking by me licking his lips!!! he had eaten the whole bottom half of the cake!!!!! i was angry but had to laugh!!!! baby gate going back up in the kitchen!!!!

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:52am
post #12 of 15

I can totally relate. My Beagle ate 1/3 of a sheet cake that I had sitting on a table in my spare bedroom. Put his little paws up on the table and chomped away at what he could reach. he's a total cake-a-holic now.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:48am
post #13 of 15

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif It wasn't chocolate, was it??? Poor puppy wuppy... couldn't help but devour the delicious smelling tiers that were beckoning from the time they were being mixed...he couldn't take it any longer. Is he okay...no tummy aches from all that sugar?

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:58am
post #14 of 15

Nope, it wasn't chocolate....white cake. He was pretty fat and on a sugar rush for the rest of the day though icon_smile.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:00am
post #15 of 15

Would love to share a laugh with you later on about this. But until then, hang in there and just do your thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%