Filling - It's New To Me

Decorating By zespri Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 9:46pm by cathyscakes

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi folks

Filling cakes does not seem to be popular yet in NZ, I was surprised at how common it seems to be in other parts of the world when I started reading this forum. So I don't have a lot of experience with it. A couple of questions:

What sort of consistency should it be, should it be stiff, or is any sort of consistency acceptable? I am making a tiered cake which I want to fill, and am worried that if I put a light filling in it such as mousse, that it will just slide off. It will have fondant on it to help hold it in, and a stiff buttercream dam. But would that really be enough to stop the top layer sliding off?

How thick do most of you put your filling in? When I see pictures it looks like about a centimetre, or is that too much?

Does the type and amount of filling change between doing single tier cakes and multi tier, or do you do the same thing for each?

6 replies
Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 7

It will be ok! thumbs_up.gif

Pipe your filling dam first with a stiff buttercream. Place your filling in. Make sure the filling does not go higher than your dam. If you filling is BC, make sure it is about the same cons. of the icing on your cake.

Your layers should not slide off. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH,

Michael

zespri Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 7

even if the filling is like a pudding consistency... it still won't slide as long as it has a stiff dam? lol... I feel like someone sitting on the edge of the pool afraid to put my toe in.

Mikel79 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 7

icon_biggrin.gif

Don't worry. I use Choc. Bavarian cream in some of my cakes. I use a little bit stiffer than normal dam. Works just fine so far.
=)

Michael

zespri Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 7

lol... your emoticon is laughing at me.

Thanks Michael!

Mikel79 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

lol... your emoticon is laughing at me.

Thanks Michael!

icon_wink.gif

No prob.!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 7

To be safe alot of times I make a mousse filling with pastry pride, and add instant pudding to it, it makes it stiffer. You could use whipped cream but pastry pride doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%