How Do I Make A Fondant Loop Bow For 8" Cake

Decorating By Kread Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 5:46pm by DeezTreatz

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I'm new to fondant, and I've seen a lot of bow tutorials for a 6" cake topper. My cake is 8" round. I don't want the bow to look too small on top. Can you tell me what size to cut my fondant strips to form the appropriately sized bow?

Thanks!!

8 replies
sugar_britches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_britches Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 9

i'm making one also and the instructions i found said to cut strips approximately 9"x1.5". I havent actually put it on the cake yet so i'm not sure how it will look. I hope that helps.

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 9

Whatever looks right. You might start out cutting a couple of 8" x 1" or 1 1/2" strips and doing a couple of test loops with them. Lay them out opposite each other on an upside-down 8" pan, and you'll get an idea of what the diameter will be if you continue with strips that size.

Loopy bows are pretty free-form. There's no right or wrong size - just whatever looks right to you. I think I cut my loops in gradually smaller sizes on the loopy bow I did, but I probably started out with 8" strips on the bottom layer.

Just play with it a little! HTH!

Folsomsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Folsomsweetcakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! 8" sounds like a good start!

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 12:25am
post #5 of 9

Hey!

For my 8" cakes - I do my loop bows: 5" x 1"
I just made one yesterday - u can check it out for size in my photos - It's teal!

Folsomsweetcakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 9

Is it the zebra cake? Love it!! Thanks for the advice! How many loops do you make? Do you let them dry completely? Assemble on wax paper or on cake? Royal icing or candy melts for glue? Do you pinch the ends or cut them to a point? Thanksicon_wink.gif

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:55am
post #7 of 9

My zebra cake? <looking around> (Because Deez Treatz has a zebra cake with a bow, too...) If it's mine you're talking about, I'm really sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I didn't get notification of response to the thread. icon_redface.gif

I probably made 18-20 or so loops. Actually, I probably made even more to allow for breakage, because I know I had some leftovers. 8 on the bottom, then 5-6 in the middle layer, then 3-4 or so sticking up in the center.

I cut the strips, formed the loops over a new broom handle that I had hung over two shelves in my pantry and wrapped completely in waxed paper, and sealed the ends together flat with a little water. I let them dry that way for maybe 2 days. I only needed to trim a few to a point so they would fit as I assembled. I think I used a ball of fondant to stick the ends of the bow into, but I imagine royal icing or candy melts would work, too.

I assembled it on waxed paper that you can actually see in the photo, then placed it on the cake later. The waxed paper is there because I wanted a pic of the cake completed, but I had to transport it (and I didn't want it to travel with the bow on top...)

If you're not traveling anywhere, you could always assemble it on the cake, though.

HTH!

Folsomsweetcakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 9

Sherri, sorry, I was talking to deez, but just figured out how to view your cakes, and that bow on the zebra cake is beautiful!! So I just set a ball of fondant down, then push the loops onto it? Won't they break? It seams like there are soany ways to do it! Sorry for all the questions!! I'm so nervousicon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsomsweetcakes

Is it the zebra cake? Love it!! Thanks for the advice! How many loops do you make? Do you let them dry completely? Assemble on wax paper or on cake? Royal icing or candy melts for glue? Do you pinch the ends or cut them to a point? Thanksicon_wink.gif

Hey! I did the same size and amount of loops on the Zebra Cake too!
The first pic that comes up in my album is the same size of bow on 8" cake too.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1873276&sub=1873287

-I make 14 loops (Half fondant/Half gumpaste)
-I cut them with the wilton ribbon cutter.
-I take the loop fold in half - brush on some glue, cut a point and place on my plate with wax paper, loop down to dry overnight.

-Another option is to put a strong toothpick inbetween your loop so you can just stick it in your cake.

To assemble:

-I roll and cut out 3 flat circles (about half an icnch, toonie size(lol) and a penny size) of fondant/gumpaste (mixed) for each layer of bows I glue together.
-One on the bottom - brush on glue - stick 6 loops.
-Second round piece on top of the 6 loops - brush on glue - stick 5 loops.
-3rd small piece on top of the 5 loops - brush on glue - add 3 loops.
-I always brush on glue in between loops to make it stick better.

I let it dry it again over night. (It usually takes a few days for me)

6 on the bottom layer, then 5, then 3 loops on the top.

I used gumpaste and water(glue) for my glue. (Just take little pieces of gumpaste and add them to a bit of water)

Try royal icing for your glue if you can - mine always takes so long to dry - maybe it's the glue that I use?

Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%