Thanksgiving Dinner's Are Expensive (Long Vent)

Lounge By Echooo3 Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm by cakeythings1961

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I agree, have everyone contribute at least one dish.

Something I do all year long is buy a can (or frozen item, etc) here and there, and set it aside.
Thinking... I have stashed in freezer and fridge - smoked salmon ($1 on closeout), small jar of caviar ($2), beef log, bag of cranberries from last year's after-Christmas sale, mashed pumpkin, stock from the last turkey, innards from the same turkey, green beans from the $0.50 sale, canned salmon... etc.
You can take all sorts of little things, put them on a cracker or bread slice,(use some of that frozen leftover bread) toast them if you want to and people think they're wonderful. (And it makes the meal seem more festive and go farther.) further?

Nice ideas! I wish I had found some smoked salmon for $1!!!

Actually, I pointed out the price of some Thanksgiving dinner items as an example that the meal doesn't have to be expensive. I bought my turkey really cheap this year, but I'm going all out with baked goods... 4 kinds of pie and a pumpkin cheesecake! I'm also making my DH's aunt's rolls, as it would not be a holiday without them. But the only appetizers my guests are getting is crudites, since I don't want them to fill up on heavier items.

Other than that, as long as I have the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, nobody complains.

But the best part of the day is hanging out after the dinner is over. Some watch football, some visit, some play Scrabble, and everybody nibbles on leftovers. Oh, and my kids always "volunteer" to do the dishes.icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%