11.19.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 12:23am by DSmo

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:04am
post #31 of 56

I am making a football cake for my brother's bday come Wednesday. I am VERY slow this time of year. I have no cake orders until after the New Year. Do you guys find that to be common around this time? icon_confused.gif

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:08am
post #32 of 56

Working on ideas for my church's Children Ministry's Party. icon_smile.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:16am
post #33 of 56

I am working on a Wizards of Waverly Place Cake for my daughter's friend. This is my first time using ganache under fondant, and I love it!!!! I am gonna push ganache for now on, even if it does cost me more and I am a hobbiest caker and can't charge. I love that stuff!!!!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:23am
post #34 of 56

Purple, the orders do slow down this time of year, but it's also planning season and wedding show season i January. I do wedding cakes almost exclusively.

Cenell Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:26am
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I am working on a Wizards of Waverly Place Cake for my daughter's friend. This is my first time using ganache under fondant, and I love it!!!! I am gonna push ganache for now on, even if it does cost me more and I am a hobbiest caker and can't charge. I love that stuff!!!!!!

Do you cover the cake with fondant right the way you cover it with ganache ?

mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:33am
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Do you cover the cake with fondant right the way you cover it with ganache ?

I whipped my ganache slightly, just to loosen it up a bit, which made it go on perfectly. (I had made the ganache last night and let it rest over night.) Then I put it in the fridge for just a few minutes while I prepared my work area for the fondant, pulled it out and covered. I did rub my fondant with some shortening to insure it would stick. I read that tip on a previous blog on CC. It worked like a charm. I was able to get super smooth sides and no air bubbles. It seems like with buttercream I get bubbles and my icing moves under the fondant some. It could be me though!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Cenell Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:39am
post #37 of 56

Thaks mom2twogrlz!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:52am
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Hey FNCCrs,

Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping a cake stable in the heat?

My cousin's wedding is planned for late next June. We're in Cali so the potential for "ugly hot" is realistic.

I had offered to help with the cake before finding out that:

A. The reception is OUTSIDE
B. The venue will not let us put the cake in the fridge or an AC space while we wait for the cutting/serving.
C. The reception has 2-stages: a dinner following the ceremony for family and a later dessert/dancing event for additional guest. The cake will be cut during "part 2"
D. The cake is supposed to be delivered between 3-5. Ceremony at 5:30. Cutting at 9pm.

Any ideas on how to keep a cake from melting under its own weight given these conditions?

I would tell the bride, "sorry, you get no choices on the cake or fillings" and do all the tiers with pound cake and extremely light BC filling. One thing that really makes a cake a disaster in the heat is the fillings either leaking or making the cakes slide,bulging or something disasterous! I would lightly ice the poundcake in BC and then do fondant. and keep the decorations simple to cut down on melting mishaps!

BTW, this morning finished some girly make-up themed cupcakes, went to work at the 'real job' got home to start on a cowgirl quilt themed baby shower cake(done), a smash cake (done), a 1/2 sheet 1st b-day cake with a cute owl on it -almost done,just need to write on it. Tomorrow I am making a giant cupcake cake, another smash cake, dozen cupcakes, and 78 decorated sugar cookies...oh yeah and 2 pumpkin cheesecakes are in the works at some point in time as well.
I usually don't do this much in a weekend limiting myself to two orders a week- but I really,REALLY need the money for Christmas!

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:57am
post #39 of 56

Happy to see I'm not the only one up late and on here icon_smile.gif Working on an anniversary cake for my friends parents. (one plus about doing cakes for fun...they turn into presents!!! no gift wrapping icon_smile.gif ) Anyway, I hated how the top tier came out so here I am at 1 a.m. baking another darn cake boo! I seem to have the "top tier poopers". Past two cakes with a top tier are crappin out on me

mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:03am
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenell

Thaks mom2twogrlz!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

You're welcome.

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:25am
post #41 of 56

Have the last tier covered in fondant and getting ready to decorate. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I don't think it's a train coming at me . . .

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:41am
post #42 of 56

Wow! I'm not the only one still up! Just finished covering a 3 1/2 tier wedding cake. Spice cake with apple and caramel filling... YUM!!! Adding the gum paste mums in the morning, then done!

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:11am
post #43 of 56

still here. Did I mention that this cake is COVERED in crap?

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:31am
post #44 of 56

Leah, still up? icon_surprised.gif What time is it where you are? I'm in Scotland, it's 10:30am here, and we're all having breakfast!
That cake sounds like a very "busy" cake! Sounds like you're nearly there though.
It's a shame about the time difference, I'd love to join in the FNCC! Maybe I'll have to start one of my own for people on GMT thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:41am
post #45 of 56

5:40 am here My rule has always been that if I'm still up at 5, then there's no reason to go to bed. An hour of sleep is worse than no sleep. I think I'll have some breakfast too!

MamaD77 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:53am
post #46 of 56

I agree, I did that for a cake I did for a friend's daughter. If the cake wasn't done, I wasn't going to bed! I ended up staying up for a total of 41hrs that weekend, due to the fact that we were also attending the party too!
I got up at 7am on the Friday, and didn't get to bed until near midnight on the Saturday night! icon_lol.gif

Enjoy your breakfast!

DSmo Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You've GOT to post a pic!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurpleButterfly

I am making a football cake for my brother's bday come Wednesday. I am VERY slow this time of year. I have no cake orders until after the New Year. Do you guys find that to be common around this time? icon_confused.gif

Usually I slow down from Sept till the 1st of December. That's when the party cakes start and winter wedding cakes. Then it's slow mid Jan till March when the shower cakes start. There are a few wedding cakes sprinkled in but those don't really start till April. This year there was no slow down. I've been working 7 days a week (I work in an office 3 of those days) since mid April. I took this week off or I would have been working this week as well.

My SIL usually slows down in the same pattern, he's a propane dealer, but this year he hasn't seen any slow down either. I'm hoping it's a sign of a good economy, at least in No. Cal!

Cat

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:35pm
post #49 of 56

Thanks--there is no chance she will cut the cake right after dinner. She wants it there for the "second stage" of the reception when their friends come to party.

I was planning on using SPS. The "shade" at the venue looks sketchy. There are covered walkways on either side of the central patio area where the wedding will be. From pics of previous events, it looks like the cake table is in the courtyard to the side, under some palm trees.

I fear this has CakeWreck written all over it.

Kristy[/quote]

Let's hope it doesn't have bugs and bird poop written all over it. I would suggest you get her to sign a waiver indicating you are NOT responsible for the condition of your cake after it's been delivered and set up...particularly for an outdoor wedding. No one is going to eat her cake that late after being there for several hours already. In fact she will probably lose a good part of her wedding guests. Maybe she wants to who knows? But I know this...as a guest I'd have a hard time wanting to eat a cake that's been sitting outside in heat for most of the day. She needs to consider this.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBlu

Hello Everyone!

Hobby baker here trying to decide what flavor cake to make my turkey cake for the family thanksgiving , also had a friend ask for a cake for her son so I did a sketch earlier.

Gonna get my shopping list ready for pies (butternut squash pie and apple) as well as I am having game night so I'm planning dinner and dessert (Poached pears may be?).

Spice cake...butter cake...pumpkin cake...or you could go for gory and do red velvet! icon_lol.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #51 of 56

leah i have to see this ccake!!!! as far as what i have? absolutely nothing this wkend!!!! my daughter has competition so i didnt take anything for this wkend. have a lot to do next wk, but thats a whole nother wk!!!! LOL

leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 7:57pm
post #52 of 56

OK, picture now posted.

elliegails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliegails Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #53 of 56

Leah
Cake turned out great! Hope you are getting some sleep!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:59pm
post #54 of 56

The cake is lovely Leah. Hope the bride appreciated all your hard work and that you got to catch up on your sleep this weekend.

Kristy

MamaD77 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:10pm
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

That's the most beautiful crap I've seen in a long time! icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, it's gorgeous, the bride must have been thrilled. Glad you posted a pic, I was so curious to see it! thumbs_up.gif

DSmo Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:23am
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

OK, picture now posted.

Nicely done! I love the color scheme. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%