post #1 of 56

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

55 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 56

Online, researching cookie designs. Particularly Valentine's Day designs.

It always pays to stay one holiday season ahead.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:42am
post #3 of 56

Well I have just finished pink poodle cupcake transfers from H_LL! not easy to transfer those things on a cup cake but there done and gone. Researching a cake for an up conming cake for the play "Harvey" got a fantastic idea just have to put it all together now. How bout you?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:43am
post #4 of 56

I'm working on a 5 tier "Marie Antoinette" themed wedding cake. I've been decorating since 1:00. I have three tiers finished. Yeah. There's a ton of crap on this cake.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:43am
post #5 of 56

I was waiting for this one tonight! LOL I am working on a 2- tier and smash cake and a princess pillow cake. I had a fiasco with the pillow cake and had to rebake it. It just came out of the oven, it's gonna be a late night for me.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'm working on a 5 tier "Marie Antoinette" themed wedding cake. I've been decorating since 1:00. I have three tiers finished. Yeah. There's a ton of crap on this cake.

I have to tell my husband this because he doesn't understand why it takes me so long to decorate a cake, although he has a point.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:49am
post #7 of 56

I just finished a small 2 tier Diego cake. It has almost killed me. I had to re-bake the bottom tier, and problems getting the buttercream to stick to the cake. I think somehow I angered the Cake Gods, because today has been awful! But I'm done now, whew! Thank goodness!!!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 56

Evening!

I'm mostly done for tonight. I finished a cowboy-themed birthday cake for a playgroup friend of my 2YO's. (New pic in my gallery) I got to try out my new clay extruder for the rope borders. Anyone w/tips on how to get the fondant smooth when it comes out? The choco fondant was pretty rough but that was OK since I was making a lariat.

The cuppies for the party are done & waiting on frosting. Made a double batch of batter so there are extra cuppies for my hubby and a 6in square to stash in the freezer for Thanksgiving.

Sometime either tomorrow or Sunday am, I need to put together a pumpkin-spice cake w/cream cheese frosting to take to the inlaws for our early Thanksgiving gathering. I'm planning rustic/simple.

Kristy

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:56am
post #9 of 56

Just posted a spaghetti cake I did for my daughter's birthday. She loved it. Turned out pretty cute...and it was so easy. Now I'm getting ready to make a butt-load of white flowers for a 3-tier anniversary cake I've got coming up. Perhaps the term 'butt-load' shouldn't be used in a cake discussion, but I'm just not looking forward to doing them right now. I'm tired. May put it off for tonight! icon_razz.gif

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #10 of 56

I'm working on a 2 tier yellow cake with Bavarian Cream filling. Need to cover it in ganache. Does anyone have any good pointers on the covering with ganache. I really don't want the sides to look bad where it has been layered, but not sure how to get a good smooth coverage. Any help would be appreciated.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:17am
post #11 of 56

Just finished Donkey for a friends son for tomorrow, he was alot of fun to do! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:24am
post #12 of 56

Baptism cake and cookies. About to go make a zillion fondant roses.

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:25am
post #13 of 56

fondant for the extruder needs to be mixed with some veg shortening before loading it into the extruder. then it comes out smooth.

KJ62798 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:42am
post #14 of 56
Quote:

fondant for the extruder needs to be mixed with some veg shortening before loading it into the extruder. then it comes out smooth.

Thanks! I thought that might be the case. I was using the Duff chocolate fondant for the first time and it was so soft that I didn't think to add the shortening. I guess more experiments are in my future.

Kristy

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:44am
post #15 of 56

Good evening ladies and gents...I'm on the other side of cakes this week..in fact, due to the fact I refused to schedule myself next week I actually have a whole week off of cakes for T'giving! I haven't had a week off since April and am SOOO looking forward to it. Of course that doesn't mean no baking only baking what I want to bake!LOL!

Rough week for me. As a part timer I usually do about 2 cakes a week on average or one wedding cake. This week it was 3 cakes and then I had to drive them to San Jose (2 hours away) for delivery yesterday. My first vegan cake was a hit. Odd baking this thing since it seems to take forever for a vegan cake to bake. It got a little too brown around the edges but once those were trimmed off, filled and frosted with vegan buttercream it was wonderful. Got feedback today that it was wonderful and everyone, including those who said it couldn't possibly good, said it was just awesome. The second cake was like my Curly Q cake in my albums...just a very minor twist on that. The last one is a 3D castle cake based on the artwork of the 6 yr old birthday girl. I baked over a full week but then decorated all in one day. That included the poured sugar jewels for the crown that I forgot about until the last second. Deliveries went well and the clients were thrilled..can't ask for better than that!

I will post the photos sometime this weekend!

Cat

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:45am
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickeyC

I'm working on a 2 tier yellow cake with Bavarian Cream filling. Need to cover it in ganache. Does anyone have any good pointers on the covering with ganache. I really don't want the sides to look bad where it has been layered, but not sure how to get a good smooth coverage. Any help would be appreciated.

Just did one. I actually used some whipped ganache (just let it cool for 20 minutes or more and then whip it in your mixer until you get the consistency you want...very soft peaks) It allows you to be able to frost your cake with ganache so it's not just a glaze. It goes on very smooth. I cooled in the fridge until it was a bit hardened. Then I took the unwhipped ganache and just lightly covered the cake with the glaze. It goes on very smooth and is shiny.
(the cake I did like this was the aforementioned spaghetti cake I just posted so it's a little hard to see the actual ganache covering.) HTH! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:56am
post #17 of 56

Ugh. Still working on the fourth tier. Must now make ten swags, paint them gold apply them and then mold ten bows. Did I mention that this cake is covered in crap? This particular tier is covered in white fondant, then in two colors of pink stripes, cutout for the swags at the top. Oh vey.

KJ62798 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:56am
post #18 of 56

Hey FNCCrs,

Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping a cake stable in the heat?

My cousin's wedding is planned for late next June. We're in Cali so the potential for "ugly hot" is realistic.

I had offered to help with the cake before finding out that:

A. The reception is OUTSIDE
B. The venue will not let us put the cake in the fridge or an AC space while we wait for the cutting/serving.
C. The reception has 2-stages: a dinner following the ceremony for family and a later dessert/dancing event for additional guest. The cake will be cut during "part 2"
D. The cake is supposed to be delivered between 3-5. Ceremony at 5:30. Cutting at 9pm.

Any ideas on how to keep a cake from melting under its own weight given these conditions?

I'm faced with either skipping the wedding to deliver the cake later/closer to serving OR telling her to find a baker who can do the cake and deliver it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Kristy

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:57am
post #19 of 56

Hello Everyone!

Hobby baker here trying to decide what flavor cake to make my turkey cake for the family thanksgiving , also had a friend ask for a cake for her son so I did a sketch earlier.

Gonna get my shopping list ready for pies (butternut squash pie and apple) as well as I am having game night so I'm planning dinner and dessert (Poached pears may be?).

KJ62798 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:57am
post #20 of 56
Quote:

Ugh. Still working on the fourth tier. Must now make ten swags, paint them gold apply them and then mold ten bows. Did I mention that this cake is covered in crap? This particular tier is covered in white fondant, then in two colors of pink stripes, cutout for the swags at the top. Oh vey.

A bride that doesn't get the concept that "less is more"?

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:12am
post #21 of 56

Just finished a three tiered bollywood cake and I'm now trying to tackle 3-D christmas ornament balls. Why can't I cover a sphere in fondant? Does anyone have any pointers?

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:17am
post #22 of 56

Just finished a Phineas and Ferb cake for my friend's 7 y/o. Of course. the lightbulb in my oven just died about 2 hours ago so there will be no rushing the remaining drying of the gumpaste characters. Hopefully no one's head falls off tomorrow!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:17am
post #23 of 56

Does anyone know if royal icing sticks to parchment paper? I don't have any wax paper and I am trying to avoid that late night trip to wally world.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:31am
post #24 of 56

Thank you Carmijok. Sounds like what I will do. Your cake looked lovely by the way. Made me hungry for some spaghetti. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:36am
post #25 of 56

I'd certainly try the RI on parchment. Don't know why it wouldn't work. beats a car trip to the store.

Google Charlotte's Whipped Cream Buttercream. no whipped cream in it and heat and humidity stable.

This cake I'm working on is for a Marie Antoinette themed wedding reception Nothing about this wedding meets "less is more." It's definitely "More isn't enough."

KJ62798 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:42am
post #26 of 56
Quote:

I'd certainly try the RI on parchment. Don't know why it wouldn't work. beats a car trip to the store.

Google Charlotte's Whipped Cream Buttercream. no whipped cream in it and heat and humidity stable.

This cake I'm working on is for a Marie Antoinette themed wedding reception Nothing about this wedding meets "less is more." It's definitely "More isn't enough."

Thanks Leah!

I found the recipe. I will have to try a batch and see how it works.

Kristy

cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:46am
post #27 of 56
Quote:

Thanks and I can't wait to see pictures of that cake !!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:51am
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Hey FNCCrs,

Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping a cake stable in the heat?

My cousin's wedding is planned for late next June. We're in Cali so the potential for "ugly hot" is realistic.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Kristy

Kristy,

I live in Cali too and faced a summer with high heat and outdoor events. I used IndyDebi's buttercream recipe and it worked like a charm. No issues with melting either by itself or under the fondant. Now the fondant DID soften up making it a bit harder to cut neatly but the buttercream under kept the cake from getting the crumbly melty thing that happens. I would do four things...one, use that recipe, two, make sure that the cake has some sort of shade over it at all times, three, use in internal support system like SPS to make sure that you bring down the chances of collapsing tiers and, four, make sure it's cut RIGHT after dinner. Oh..just thought of 5..make sure you and the photographer gets photos of it quickly.

I still don't understand why Brides seem to think that their guests want to hang outside in the heat to watch them get married. SIGH.

Cat

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:53am
post #29 of 56

I am up, well for only a few more minutes...just finished a Rock Star birthday cake and I am so going to bed! I used my airbrush to cover my entire cake blue and OMG the color is everywhere! I have only used it to apply sparkle or luster dust to my cakes, so this time the blue is all over...lesson learned I need to get a box when using my airbrush!!!

Night all - happy caking!!

KJ62798 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:59am
post #30 of 56

[quote="catlharper] four, make sure it's cut RIGHT after dinner. Oh..just thought of 5..make sure you and the photographer gets photos of it quickly.

I still don't understand why Brides seem to think that their guests want to hang outside in the heat to watch them get married. SIGH.

Cat[/quote]

Thanks--there is no chance she will cut the cake right after dinner. She wants it there for the "second stage" of the reception when their friends come to party.

I was planning on using SPS. The "shade" at the venue looks sketchy. There are covered walkways on either side of the central patio area where the wedding will be. From pics of previous events, it looks like the cake table is in the courtyard to the side, under some palm trees.

I fear this has CakeWreck written all over it.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%