Red Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By sugar-2 Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 6:10pm by sugar-2

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 9

I've made a bunch of gumpaste roses to add to a wedding cake and I'm noticing as they dry they are getting darker & darker, any way of preventing this? How do you keep your red roses looking nice and red?? thanks a bunch

8 replies
carriejoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carriejoy Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 9

I always make my gp flowers all on one day (at the begening of the month)
then when I need them place luster dust of the desired color on .

sugar-2 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 9

ah thanks for the tipicon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 9

many peopel start with gumpaste much lighter than the end flower, like pink paste for a red rose. then build up the colour with petal dust. shouldnt be any colour changes that way. not sure why your paste is darkening so much in the first place tho!
xx

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 9

How funny!! My red roses turn more orange as it sits. I use Americolor supper red. What color did you use? I want mine dark red.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, red gumpaste will do that. Also my Americolor super red does the same thing with my gumpaste roses. (Doesn't do it with fondant) The roses end up looking like dried blood. Found out you can fix it by brushing on poppy red petal dust then hold them over some steam. Beautifully red ever after!! thumbs_up.gif

Black gumpaste roses look better also when done with the black petal dust and steam. (Of course start out with black gumpaste).

sugar-2 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 1:12am
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone for your input..i used wilton red, started off nice but has dried a little darker than i would have liked...the steam sounds like a great tip, thanks again

sugar-2 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 9

Just thought i'd post the final product, they did dry a little darker, but i think the red still worked....thanks for all your inputicon_smile.gif

sugar-2 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 9

sorry won't let me attach the picture, it's the first one in my photos w/black ribbon, thanksicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%