I'm Really Really Mad! I Must Vent!!!

Decorating By bates123 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 3:17pm by Mb20fan

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:52am
post #1 of 28

About three months ago my sister's boss told me that she wanted me to make her baby's one year birthday cake. She didn't know exactly the day she would have the party, but she said that she wanted a "small cake" for the baby, a dozen of my oreo cupcakes and two dozen vanilla cupcakes. She has seen my cupcake stand (acrylic, cost me $275 after shipping) and wanted to use my stand. I penciled it in my calendar.

Well about a week before her birthday I got a call from her and she told me when she needed the cake (before the date penciled in) and that she only wanted the "small cake" and a dozen oreo cupcakes. Her grandmother was going to make more cupcakes so they didn't need mine.

I had to make cupcakes for my daughter's birthday so I threw her cake in the oven that day (a couple of days before she needed it) and froze it for later. The morning before her date of deliver I got the cake out to defrost. About three hours later my sister called and said to hold up on the order because baby had pink eye. So I did.

That evening she called back and said to go ahead anyway. Well, I was going to bake the cupcakes earlier that day so I told her that I wouldn't have time for cupcakes but I'd make the baby's cake. When her mom came to pick up the cake she asked for the cupcake stand. I didn't want to since I didn't do cupcakes, but since I know them I just let her borrow it. My sister told met that she said that they couldn't figure out how to put it together so they didn't even use it. (It really is simple...go figure!) That was 11 days ago. I've left messages on her home and cell phones. I've left messages on her facebook and her mom's facebook wall, but I've gotten no reply. I'm wondering if they broke it or something. I'm gettin really mad! What should I do? I'm worried now that I'm going to make them mad because I know that I sound angry when I message them now. I'm so mad!!!! All this and I only charged $10 for the cake and she still has my $275 stand!!!!

27 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:57am
post #2 of 28

The only way to make the return of your cupcake stand important to the customer is to charge a hefty desposit for its use. (And that deposit also descreases the longer it's overdue). thumbs_up.gif

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:41am
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

The only way to make the return of your cupcake stand important to the customer is to charge a hefty desposit for its use. (And that deposit also descreases the longer it's overdue). thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:15am
post #4 of 28

I'v had to learn thie hard way. First, you are a business and similar to renting a car, each time a stand goes out it gets more "miles" on it. You are too nice and are going to have to come up with a rental policy that spells out how long they can keep it, what they will be charged for damage and what the entire replacement cost would be. Make them sign it and leave a credit card number or check/cash. People are mostly great but those bad apples are the reason we have to come up with policies and contracts. Best of luck and inspect the heck out of it when you get it back!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:57am
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurpleButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

thumbs_up.gif

Yeah it's hard with family and friends, but a deposit ensures you get it back in good condition. Remember "No." is a complete sentence.

I have people ask me for all kinds of stuff. I've gotten really good at saying. "No, I don't do that." No I don't bake vegan, no I don't make exact copies of anyone's cake, no I won't make a dora cake ( mostly because it been done to death, and I really don't like Dora as a cake subject), no I don't offer tastings for a cake for 20, no I'm not available to make a wedding cake in 4 days...lol.....no, no, no. See it's easy....lol

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 28

Send her an invoice charging her for the entire cost of the stand. If they still have it and are just being lazy about returning it then hopefully this will get their attention.

Send one a week until you hear from her, but be prepared not to get your stand back. If they haven't returned it yet even after you left a message then there is a good chance they did break it and you should prepare yourself that you are not going to get it back. Either that or they don't realize the actual value of the stand and are thinking it's no big deal.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 28

I'd be upset too. But stuff the emotion and call. Stop by for it when you know they'll be home. Keep your cool. Be persistent and pleasant.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Send her an invoice charging her for the entire cost of the stand. If they still have it and are just being lazy about returning it then hopefully this will get their attention.

Send one a week until you hear from her, but be prepared not to get your stand back. If they haven't returned it yet even after you left a message then there is a good chance they did break it and you should prepare yourself that you are not going to get it back. Either that or they don't realize the actual value of the stand and are thinking it's no big deal.

That's good advice - I would actually put a picture of the stand, along with the price with shipping, and keeping it pleasant of course! Good Luck!

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 28

Along with the invoice tell them if it is still not returned or the invoice paid within 36 hours you will be reporting the stand stolen with your local police, the cost of the stand is significantly enough to where you can call the police and let them handle the situation. If you rent a car and do not return it guess what the police and a repossesor will show up to collect it. (my husband was telling me about the business next to his that had this happen because they did not return a car that they had rented for an employee)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 28

Your sister should ask her boss for the stand back. To make it easier, the boss could even bring it to work and your sister could take it home. Tell her you have an order using it this weekend and can't afford $300 for another stand.

I would try that before threatening to call the police on her or sending her a bill...this is your sister's boss and if you make her angry enough, she'll take it out on your sister.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 28

I agree that sending them a picture of the stand and where you ordered it from might ber VERY helpful. Unless someone told them, there is no way they think the unusable (to them) acrylic cupcake stand is worth $275.

If you provide the invoice, the picture and the ordering info, they can re-order it for you if they've broken it and are afraid to tell you.

Ugh. I would be worried, too, wondering why they haven't at least returned your calls. thumbsdown.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 28

If you are uncomfortable confronting the issue and upsetting anyone, why don't you say that you NEED it and MUST have it back for an upcoming order? (It's the truth.) Put a must-return-by date on it, too, if you want. That will put some pressure on them to immediately address the matter.

Best of luck. I hope you get your stand back in the same condition it was loaned out. icon_smile.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:41pm
post #13 of 28

If you are close enough, why don't you just drop by unannounced. Say you were in the neighborhood and thought you would pick up your stand as you need it for another order. See then what they do.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 28

Wow! I am truly amazed by what I learn on this site daily. I am very sorry that you havent gotten your stand back. In hopes that all works out for you and that the stand is returned without harm.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 28

im really sorry about your situation, i think you may be right, they have done something to it. In cases like these when a cake order comes about through a family member or friend for someone else it really does make it difficult. Best to deal directly with the person who wants the cake, and remember it is always business. Send them an invoice for a replacement cupcake stand. attach a copy of your order or the website where you got it from. Let them know that this needs to be replaced by, give a date, otherwise you will report your stand stolen. People have no idea what these items cost us and you;d be surprised what people think is disposable. (i had one place throw away a set of stress free supports, i kept the deposit). And for future use, always hold a cash deposit on these items, people really want their cash back asap, it works.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #16 of 28

Ouch! I have a lil sick feeling in my stomach after reading that - can't imagine what you are feeling! Image

Please...keep us updated. I hope to hear soon that you received your stand back and all was well. Image

Best of luck.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:01pm
post #17 of 28

ARRRGGGHHH! I am really mad FOR you icon_mad.gif
I just bake for friends and family, so no pro here....BUT they are treating you with EXTREME disrespect, boss or no boss. I cannot believe that they even had the nerve to ask to "borrow" the stand AFTER they cancelled your cupcake order. That alone flabbergasts me. BUT THEN to ignore you for so long regarding the return of your property, somthing that you need to earn a living. I'll bet that they did break it, I have put one of those together and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out. I agree with the other poster: give them one more chance to return your property, send them an em including the invoice for your stand. Let them know that if it is not returned in the ORIGINAL CONDITION within (you insert the number) hours, you WILL be filing a police report on the stolen property, and, personally, I would charge them "loss of use" as this is business property, not personal property, and you have had to turn down orders due to their lack of timliness in returning this stand (I don't know if this is true or not but this will let them know that they may be incurring additional charges besides just the stand itself). To me, I'll bet they did break this and are FULLY AWARE of the cost of the stand and are taking advantage of the fact that she is your sisters boss, and that you will dry up and blow away. These people are dispicable and you have every right to be furious. G ood Luck

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 28

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I was getting upset reading your story even before it got to the cup cake stand.
I agree with all the advice given. I just think it's crazy that the only way to get a person's attention is to prove the great value of this stand. Sadly, it will probably be the best method (that she realizes it's worth $300). Whatever happened to returning something simply because it was borrowed???

Your sister's boss did not deserve all that you did for her. I hope this ends well!!!!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:34am
post #19 of 28

I'm anxious to hear how this ends. Please keep us posted!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:42am
post #20 of 28

This is another perfect story line for the new soap opera I am shopping to the networks....it's called : "As The Cake Bakes".

Keep us posted!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:52am
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

This is another perfect story line for the new soap opera I am shopping to the networks....it's called : "As The Cake Bakes".

Keep us posted!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:55am
post #22 of 28

I don't think you should go to the police. You willingly gave it to her to use. Unless the police are not particularly busy and are feeling up to intervening on your behalf, the most likely thing that will happen is that they tell you it's a civil matter and you will have to get your remedy through the courts. Even if they knock on her door, they cannot make her give it back to you, unless your jurisdiction has laws that state otherwise, and I don't think that is likely.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:47pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

I agree that sending them a picture of the stand and where you ordered it from might ber VERY helpful. Unless someone told them, there is no way they think the unusable (to them) acrylic cupcake stand is worth $275.

That was my thought, too, as I read thru this. I am constantly amused by the shocked look on people's faces when I tell them how much my equipment costs. never in their cake-civilian-mind do they think a cake pan would cost over $25 or a single metal diamond press would cost me $35 (ok, that one even blew ME away!)

Is your sister in a position to mention to the boss how "anxious" you are to "....get her $275 stand back. those aren't easy to replace."?

elliegails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliegails Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:03pm
post #24 of 28

I agree with the people that suggest a deposit. Even with a deposit, I have a terrible time bringing myself to cash it. I am going to a reception location today to pick up cake stands that weren't returned in October. I should just cash the deposit instead, but I can't bring myself to do it. I am guilty of trying to avoid confrontation! Good luck with your stand.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:05pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliegails

I agree with the people that suggest a deposit. Even with a deposit, I have a terrible time bringing myself to cash it. I am going to a reception location today to pick up cake stands that weren't returned in October. I should just cash the deposit instead, but I can't bring myself to do it. I am guilty of trying to avoid confrontation! Good luck with your stand.

Oh gosh darlin', you need to cash any deposit checks as soon as you get them!! People are not above putting a stop payment on a deposit check later, so when they DON'T return the equipment and you TRY to cash the check, you're still out!

cash it, push the cash in an envelope, put the envelope in their file. When they return the equipment, the cash is there, ready to hand it to them. If they dont' return it, you're already covered.

Cash those things. Right away!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:54pm
post #26 of 28

Wow, this really sucks! First of all, its a BOSS of your sister....her baby probably has kept her busy. Image But "borrowing" your cake stuff? Gosh, huge lesson there! I'm very stingy with my stuff....so no "borrowing" ever!

I would just SHOW UP at their house (paperwork of your purchase price in hand), like this Sunday afternoon, and smile graciously and ask for your cupcake stand. Chit-chat and coo at the baby, THEN I would proceed to SHOW THEM how to set it up! if its broken then at that time you will see it.....they will see it....then you can show them your invoice as to how much it will cost them to buy the replacement piece(s). THEN ask them for cash to cover it....IF its broken.

My humble advice is Never ever loan it out again.... Imagepersonally, I just wouldn't want to hassle with ordering another if it never came back!

Keep us posted!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:41pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates123

All this and I only charged $10 for the cake and she still has my $275 stand!!!!

Only $10 for the cake and she has your $275 stand...my gosh, I don't trust my own sister that much!

It's a delicate situation, because she is your sister's boss. Hopefully, she won't get indignant because you want your stand back and take it out on your sister.

I would wait a few days and give her a chance to respond to your emails. After that, I would send this lady a note saying that you're sorry that her daughter was sick, and that you realize how busy she must be, however, you need your stand back by (date) for another order. As others said, I would attach the invoice.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:17pm
post #28 of 28

Image Reeeeally hope this ends well. Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%