Figures, Flowers, And Fondants Question

Decorating By usmdesigner Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 11:17pm by Isacake

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, going to try to explain this very noobishly because that's what I am. But in trying to figure out recipes and what goes with what, I have just been stacking papers in recipes for making things such as flowers, models, cake layers.

Does anyone have a go to site or somewhere that sums up all the different types of fondants and gum paste, gum tex and all that? Seems like I've seen 15 different things people do and it is confusing to someone like me on which is best for what.

Gum paste/fondant 50/50's, modeling chocolate, gum text added here or there.

I'm pretty sad in the fact that I haven't gotten into a cake at all as far as what I am envisioning, yet I want to know everything up front. And I know experience is also a good tool, but then again I wouldn't be a lion tamer without reading up and getting tips first either.

A couple of examples to cut down on my rambling would be like...

What would be the best to make these items:

Flowers - Insert here
People - Insert here
Ribbons - Insert here

I really don't want an army of ingrediants and such when it comes to making this stuff, but being new to it and seeing 8 different tutorials that all use something different, I kinda get to wondering what is the best route?

7 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

I understand what you are after but I don't think there is any one set way...hence why 8 different ways of doing something, it is really trial and error and finding what works best for you.

Here's my opinion:

Flowers - I think gumpaste makes the most beautiful flowers but I find fondant easier to work with but you can't really get the detail with fondant you can with gumpaste. But fondant (either with tylose added, or 50/50) gives you more working time.

People - I prefere fondant with tylose. Never gumpaste for this, at least not for me. Working time is long and the tylose speeds up the drying

Ribbons/Bows - Fonant with tylose.

As I said, it's really about experimenting and finding what works best for you I also consider the weather, for instance I would never use modeling chocolate for an outdoor wedding in July.

Hope that Helps

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmdesigner

I really don't want an army of ingrediants and such when it comes to making this stuff, but being new to it and seeing 8 different tutorials that all use something different, I kinda get to wondering what is the best route?

One thing I have learned over the years is what works for one person doesn't always work for someone else.

And often there isn't one right or best way to do things, which is why you may see all kinds of different how to's on the same thing. Sometimes you have to try it a few different ways and see what works best for you.

usmdesigner Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 8

Well I haven't seen tylose yet anywhere, but I have seen Gum Tex in micheals. A quick search gives more positive reviews for Tylose though. Not really a choice if I'm going to buy local, so I guess I'll give the Gum Tex a shot in place of Tylose.

I haven't tried a pharmacy yet, so I guess that is my next stop before I round up the Gum Tex.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 8

If you don't have a cake supply store (not craft store) in your area, then tylose will be something you will have to order. I've used gum-tex many of times with out problems.

Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 8

just like texas sugar said, a way that works for me might not work so well for someone else. it is only after you start playing around with the stuff that you start learning.

but, here is what i use for the following:

Flowers - i prefer 50/50 but i have made some flowers with fondant and that has been fine too. it really depends on how fast you want your flower to dry and how firm you want the petals to be.

People - fondant (i use fondant because it does not dry up too fast and gives me enough time to add hands, and legs and hairs plus i am not really fast at making figures so i need the extra time...hehe)

Ribbons - if i am in a rush, i do 50/50 so it dries quicker but if i am in no rush, i just use fondant and allow it to dry for longer.

I have never used only gumpaste to make anything. i find it difficult to handle.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

usmdesigner Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_whiz

just like texas sugar said, a way that works for me might not work so well for someone else. it is only after you start playing around with the stuff that you start learning.

but, here is what i use for the following:

Flowers - i prefer 50/50 but i have made some flowers with fondant and that has been fine too. it really depends on how fast you want your flower to dry and how firm you want the petals to be.

People - fondant (i use fondant because it does not dry up too fast and gives me enough time to add hands, and legs and hairs plus i am not really fast at making figures so i need the extra time...hehe)

Ribbons - if i am in a rush, i do 50/50 so it dries quicker but if i am in no rush, i just use fondant and allow it to dry for longer.

I have never used only gumpaste to make anything. i find it difficult to handle.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

YES, this help alot.

Thanks for the replies. Seeing that I don't have any kind of business, I"m not ever in a rush. So this helps knowing all that info icon_smile.gif

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 8

I just made a siren out of marzipan and I am now in love with it. Taste great (better then fondant to my taste) and it does not stick on hand while working with it. Does not dry too fast too. More pricey then fondant though.

Flowers are all gumpaste for me and I have yet to do ribbons!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%