Please Give Me A Critique On This Photo

Decorating By cfpeoples Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm by psychmom

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 16

Tell me what you think for real. A VERY dear friend of mine just died. Her sister wants me to make a rosary cake for the viewing tomorrow. You can see my rosary cake in my pictures. It's entitled "a rosary for marylou" and is blue with a rosary and cherry blossoms. Marylou always reallyloved that cake and wanted me someday to make another one for her. She was phillipino and the phillipinos had a little statue of our lady of Fatima that they would pass around among them to have at their houses for a period and pray. She had a great devotion to Mary. She had a little alter set up in her living room with candles and flowers and rosaries around the statue. Anyway, she wanted me to make one for her with our lady of Fatima on top. I told her Id do it for that other one, but she said that she wanted me to save it for something really special, when everyone was around. Thinking back, I think she meant this, but did not want to say it to me b/c I always said I knew she would get better. (She had cancer...very young)ANYWAY, I told her sister Id make the rosary cake, didnt mention the our lady of Fatima b/c I wasnt sure how it would turn out. I worked on it for hours last night. Then one of my sons was kind and adjustedit for me this morning, a word here meaning broke. I fixed it as best I could, but I dont have any more time to work on it b/c Ive still got the whole cake to do, 100 cupcakes, 100 cherry blossoms for the tops of the cupcakes.
So my question is, do you think it looks o.k.? Be honest, I want the cake to look good, not silly. Its not quite how I wanted, but I simply dont have time to redo it. I would love on honest opinio from you whom i consider my peers. Heres the pic.

15 replies
cfpeoples Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 16

o.k. I don't know what i did wrong but the photo isn't here...I'm going to load it on like normal...please go to my photos to see the little white statue of mary and tell me what you think.Thanks

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 16

Where is the pic? It didn't attach.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 16

Hi cfpeoples, I'm so sorry about your friend. I know how much it means for you for the cake to come out perfect. I just went to your gallery and i did not see any imperfections, I only saw one tiny dent on the top tier, I would consider putting the statue of Lady of Fatima, i think it would be a nice gesture, and the color combination would look good.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 16

Very pretty! I know they will love and appreciate it.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 16

I looked at your photos and saw the Rosary cake for Marylou - it's beautiful. I don't think it needs anything else on it. The petals and the rosary beads are perfect.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 16

I think it turned out very well and I agree that everyone will appreciate the gesture.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 16

I can not see in the picture where it might have been 'broken'! of course sometimes the pictures are deceiving and we always see the worst in our own work! The only suggestion that I would make is to possibly add more gold painting to the accents to bring it out more. I think she's lovely and what a wonderful gesture for Marylou. God Bless her and you as well!

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 16

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your cake is beautiful, and a lovely and loving tribute to your friend. I think it would have made her very happy.

GL79 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 16

Ok, I just saw the figurine of Fatima that you made, I thought you were asking about the cake. I love the figurine, and I agree with jones5cm about adding more color. I've also seen Fatima with the garment that goes over her head and down to the floor in light blue. Do you still have time to maybe put a little bit of shades of blue? And the other thing that I noticed, can you paint gold around her sleeves? But other than that everything else looks great.

cfpeoples Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you for your suggestions...and yes, i will add some gold, especially around the sleeves where suggested.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 16

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

I can't see any imperfections on your figure.

IF you have time - and it's really not essential, but... - you might go over the gold highlights. But it's really lovely just as it is, too.

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 16

She looks perfect. You should definitely use it on your cake.

GL79 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 16

Please post a pic of the final cake, we would love to see her.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 16

I think this is a precious gesture of your love for your friend. Looking at the cake and the figure, I think you did an awesome job on both. I am certain that Marylou and God are both looking down on you and smiling. This is a very touching gift. So sorry for your loss.

psychmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psychmom Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 16

So sorry about your friend. The cake and the statue are beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%