Trade Show Pricing? Product To Bring? Help!!!

Business By kelleyincolorado Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 4:37pm by kelleyincolorado

kelleyincolorado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyincolorado Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 4

I'm taking part in a big bartering trade show on Saturday. I've never done one before. They said to expect up to 450 people there and I'm the only vendor doing any cakes.
So... what to bring? Here's what I'm thinking--
5" cakes-- pumpkin, red velvet, triple chocolate and (maybe) white almond.
bundt cakes-- chocolate, pumpkin, Italian Rum
Cupcakes-- half dozen and dozen--chocolate, pumpkin, white almond, chocolate/strawberry
Whoopie Pies--- pumpkin and chocolate.

I was originally thinking of making decorated fall leaf cookies as well, but the trade show folks called me yesterday and gave me the number of people expected and now I'm in panic mode trying to make more cakes. I had thought maybe half that amount would be there.

First, does my list look decent? I'll have samples for folks to eat-- mini cupcakes.
How much of each thing should I have?
How should I price them?

This is all barter, except cash for tax... I have no idea if that matters regarding price?

3 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 4

You should have samples and pictures of your work, but I don't know if you need all different size cakes. Are you going to be bartering items at the show, e.g. Bundt Cake $40 dollars, so you get a $40 dollar credit with another vendor or bartering services e.g. $40 dollar credit for goodies and providing product at a later date. I look at bartering as trading gift card/gift certificates with other companies, so you of course would have to spell out the details of your trade unless you always have cakes on hand.

I would go with your normal pricing for items.

I would also take another person with me if possible so that I get the opportunity to go around and see what other have as well.

On another note, since you are selling items, I don't know the rules of your state, but where I am if you are selling items, you have to have a temporary vendor's license to sell them.

ramble over......

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 4

Could you do $40 gift certificates to use later? That way you aren't baking all night and if folks want cake - but don't need a cake right now - they could still barter with you. Maybe have photos of your work along with prices.

kelleyincolorado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyincolorado Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

I think my plan is to have a few cakes on hand to barter right then and there, and gift certificates for future orders. I'll have pictures of my work as well.

The staff there recommended having things people can buy since we're so close to Thanksgiving. I am thinking of also having decorated cookies on sticks and do a bouquet of them in a little holiday tin. No way I can make up a bunch of those this fast, but at least a visual aid in hopes to attract future orders.

I normally don't sell individual cakes, so pricing is odd to me. I'm more into the wedding cake gig, but I am hoping to get a good chunk of bartering $ out of this, as I have home renovations I want to barter next springicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%