Design For Brother Birthday Cake For A Geologist/tres Leches

Decorating By cheriej Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm by cheriej

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:27am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,
My brother is a geologist and I am going to make his birthday cake for Dec 12th. I bought some colored chocolate "rocks" a while ago at a cake supply and he wants a tres leches cake (which I've never made). I found a recipe on Martha Stewart - not sure if I can stack it but I guess I can try it. I am an experienced baker so I'm no so worried about the cake.

My question is really on a design. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'd like to use the small colored chocolate rocks somehow. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3 replies
MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:46am
post #2 of 4

I think tres leches is would be way too moist to stack - I have never tried stacking it but have made a single layer cake with out any decorating according to the latina . com recipe.

My thoughts for a cake would be a sheet cake scene with the rocks as accents around the cake as a border, with fondant gloves, pick ax, chisel, safety goggles, May be come cables and links with a head light if he does cave exploration.

I look forward to pictures of your finished product.

HTH

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:47am
post #3 of 4

I think tres leches is would be way too moist to stack - I have never tried stacking it but have made a single layer cake with out any directions according to the latina . com recipe.

My thoughts for a cake would be a sheet cake scene with the rocks as accents around the cake as a border, with fondant gloves, pick axe, chisel, safety googles, May be come cables and links with a head light if he does cave exploration.

I look forward to pictures of your finished product.

HTH

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 4

thank you MissBlu. I was wondering about stacking it and it didn't seem possible with the recipe being too moist. I will go with the sheet cake version. Thank you for the ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%