Working With Gum Paste Help

Decorating By honeybee8 Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 3:39am by mandirombold

honeybee8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybee8 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 6

This is my first time working with gum paste. I made a mermaid tail and attached it to the upper body of a barbie doll. I made the gum paste from powder, but I found I had only a few minutes, if that, when I noticed the gum paste was drying and cracking. Needless to say, my mermaid tail did not come out how I wanted it to. Is this normal with gum paste? If so, kudos to those who make amazing figures out it! Should I have used something else to make the mermaid tail or do you really only have minutes to mold it into the shape you want? Attached is a picture. Is it so bad that I should try to make another one? I was thinking of just adding decorations with icing like pearls and tiny stars.

Thanks in advance.

5 replies
honeybee8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybee8 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:14am
post #2 of 6

I can't seem to attach a document. Sorry no pic for now.

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 6

With gum paste, work fast and keep it covered. I am still learning, but this has been my experience. Sometimes, adding a little fondant to it can help it be more pliable, and giving you a bit more time.

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

I am new to this, too, and when I used gumpaste for the first time to make a ben 10 alien character, I experienced the same cracking and drying problem. I am yet to experiment on adding a little corn syrup for pliability, as I do with my fondants, so maybe give this a go?? Otherwise, when you're working on it, have a dampened towel and a bowl and keep it in there when you're not working on it? Just some ideas... All the best!

Balusekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Balusekc Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 6

I don't normally make figurines out of gumpaste. I use fondant and make them well in advance since fondant will harden too; just not as hard as gumpaste. I am not a professional, but that is what works for me. HTH

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:39am
post #6 of 6

I only use 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste. lots of crisco if u do use all gumpaste. it dries so fast. next time u will get the hang of it. the first time i used it it was covered in cracks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%