Baking In Advance And Freezing?

Decorating By DALIG Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm by LindaF144a

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 6

my friend is getting married in a couple of weeks and this is going to be my very first big cake and future sales depend on it, but i have a full time job so i was wondering what do you all think about baking the cakes in advance and freezing them so that i just have to decorate the day before the wedding, i really dont want to take any chances on been late so how good are the cakes after they are thaw? Are they still good?

5 replies
iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 6

Hi
I was always hesitant to freeze my cakes, until I tried it. I will never not freeze again! You can't beat how moist the cake is. There have been several posts regarding this, and quite a few different opinions. Just make sure that you wrap and double wrap your cakes while they are warm. The other thing is to make sure you have the layers on cake circles. As far as torting your layers, I have done it both ways. Frozen, and just baked. I prefer torting before freezing. I also wrap them in Press n Seal, as suggested by one of the very experienced cakers here on cake central. Good Luck!
Kathy

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 6

I freeze my cakes all the time. I just froze 11 cakes on Saturday (phew!) for a few cakes I have this weekend. I wrap them super tight in a few layers of plastic wrap and they do just fine.

On the day that I'm going to tort, fill, stack & crumb coat, I take them out of the freeze in the morning before I go to work. They're defrosted when I get home and I can get busy! Or, I heard some people just tort, fill & stack when they're semi frozen because they're easier to work with.

I use the WASC recipe, and just do different variations, but it stays super moist because of the Sour Cream.

I would give it a try. If you have a large project ahead of you, it can be really overwhelming to do it all in just a few days. I always try to break it out during the week. I freeze buttercream, cake batter, cream cheese frosting. All kinds of stuff.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 6

Run a forum seach on freezing. Just use the words freeze or freezing and select titles only, should give you a ton of advice on freezing. Read through and you will see you can freeze just about any dough, baked good and frosting separately (not royal icings or MMF, but most buttercreams freeze well because of the fat content).

Make elements separately, then frost, ice, torte close to the day of the event. I also work full time (non-caking) and it is is the only way I can make things happen.

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:34am
post #5 of 6

thank you guys for your replies i sure will bake my cakes ahead and hope this will work for me too. thank you

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Hi
I was always hesitant to freeze my cakes, until I tried it. I will never not freeze again! You can't beat how moist the cake is. There have been several posts regarding this, and quite a few different opinions. Just make sure that you wrap and double wrap your cakes while they are warm. The other thing is to make sure you have the layers on cake circles. As far as torting your layers, I have done it both ways. Frozen, and just baked. I prefer torting before freezing. I also wrap them in Press n Seal, as suggested by one of the very experienced cakers here on cake central. Good Luck!
Kathy

ditto.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%