Is It Common To Have Cake At A Wedding Rehearsal?

Decorating By Mb20fan Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm by Enchantedcakes

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 18

I'm just curious...a friend of mine whose nephew is getting married this Friday, is having their rehearsal tomorrow night (don't think it's a dinner). She asked me months ago to do a cake (with specific colors matching their invitations) and our plans have been to have me bring it to the church hall (actually my church also, we are all close friends) on Wednesday. The church is in walking distance to my home so that was no big deal. Well, I just received a text asking if I could have the cake ready by tonight instead of tomorrow so they can pick it up. The MOG is nervous and wants to make sure the cake is there and nothing goes wrong.

I just thought it was odd that she is so worried about this cake that is just for the rehearsal. I never really heard of needing a cake for this night, so I was wondering if it was customary to have a rehearsal cake - 2 days before the wedding where the big wedding and groom's cakes will be served.

17 replies
rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 18

At my wedding we had a small tiered cake for cutting at the rehersal, served cake squares at the reception. That allowed our guests to be served while we were back in the church with the photographer. But that was almost 40 years ago - I think folks mostly do just what they want to do these days!

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 18

some couples usually bring a cake now for the rehearsal dinner... usually a groom's cake... I've known other friends and family to have done this. It's probably not normal before, but since there's a big cake on the day itself, it's another reason for them to have cake!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 18

In my area, if the rehearsal dinner is at a restaurant (and 99% of them are) the answer is no cake. The dessert is something the restaurant would make and serve.

Groom's cakes are present in *maybe* 50% or less of receptions.

Sounds like it's much cheaper for the bride's pocket around here, cakewise!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 18

I did my Mustang cake for my brother in law's rehearsal dinner. Not sure how common it is, but I didn't really consider it odd.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 18

It's realtively normal, I'd think. It's just a dessert, so it's not strange to have dessert at a rehearsal dinner. I do a lot of groom's cakes for rehearsals.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 18

In my area it is very common to have Rehersal Dinner cakes and Grooms cakes. Gotta love it, just means more cake!

Mb20fan Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 18

After watching 'Amazing Wedding Cakes', I heard Reva say that Groom's cakes are a southern tradition. That, I didn't know Image...being from the South, it's definitely a big part of the reception, almost as important as the wedding cake (I said almost) as it is usually something reflecting the groom's individual personality. Image

What I thought was odd was that she was so worried about the cake, not so much the fact they wanted one. The rehearsal is at the church hall and I never once heard them refer to this as a dinner. But there was so much detail and requests for this cake that I thought it was a little odd to be sooo nervous about it that she wanted it in her hands a day before we initially planned for it to be delivered. Image

Not THAT big of a deal...just wanted to start a topic of conversation amongs ourselves about whether this was a tradition or not. If generally it was a regular staple for the entire wedding process, then it would make sense that this cake was almost as important as any other aspect and all the details mattered (photos perhaps?). It was just new to me to hear of a decorated rehearsal cake as opposed to just a 'dessert'. Image

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 18

I always make a grooms cake for the rehearsal and then the weding cake for the wedding day.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 18

I have had many orders to do a rehersal dinner cake. Usually a small tiered cake, something simple but elegant, even when at a restuarant. The groom's cake usually is for the wedding around here, a bride's and a groom's cake will both be set up at the wedding.

Mb20fan Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 18

OK...well, I delivered the cake last night and all was well. Turns out, they are indeed 'eating' after the rehearsal. They are going somewhere to have a buffet style meal and it does include dessert; bread pudding only. MOG doesn't like bread pudding, so that's why she wanted a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 18

Blech. I'll take cake over bread pudding any day. I'm with her!!

Glad it all worked out. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 18

I do a lot of Groom's cakes for the rehearsal dinner. It is very common.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb20fan

OK...well, I delivered the cake last night and all was well. Turns out, they are indeed 'eating' after the rehearsal. They are going somewhere to have a buffet style meal and it does include dessert; bread pudding only. MOG doesn't like bread pudding, so that's why she wanted a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Glad it worked out well...no wonder MOG was nervous... I would too if I didn't have the cake as my backup for dessert!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 18

I made some bread pudding for a neighborhood get together last night. Yummy. Or maybe it was the bourbon sauce that went over it . ..

Anyway, a fair number of my groom's cakes are served at the rehearsal.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:48pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb20fan

I was starting to think they were calling the wedding the rehearsal to avoid the mythical extra charge for a cake because it's a "wedding" cake.

Mb20fan Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 18

So when you guys say that's it's common to have a 'Groom's cake' at a wedding rehearsal, is that in lieu of having one at the wedding reception? Image

Would you say that Groom's cakes at the wedding are a southern thing? Image

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #18 of 18

I live in the south and sometimes the grooms cake is at the wedding and sometimes it is at the rehersal, most weddings have a grooms cake but some brides do not want to have a seperate table at the recption sight or the grooms cake is a carved cake like a boat or a car and they do not want it next to their 5 tier elegant wedding cake so it is served at the rehersal wedding. It is all about what the bride wants.I did a wedding recently where they ordered 3 red velvet armadillos (Steel Magniolis style) to serve as the centerpieces at the rehersal dinner. I know I would not have wanted them next to the wedding cake wich was covered with beautiful gumpaste roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%