How To I Make Cake Balls With Cake Scraps?

Baking By cha-cha-cha Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 8:59pm by Kellbella

cha-cha-cha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cha-cha-cha Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:11am
post #1 of 14

I have been searching for a recipe(s) to use my cake scraps...I would like to make cake balls but every recipe I find online calls for 1 box of cake mix to be made into a cake and crumbled up. Making a new cake defeats my purporse of trying to get rid of the remnents of my old ones!! icon_cry.gif Can anyone help??? Or does anyone know how many cups of cake scraps = a box of crushed up cake mix? THANKS for any help icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 14

Hmmm.... Don't you just mix scraps with icing? Then ball it up, freeze it, then dip in melted chocolate?
I remember reading on here that some people use too much frosting and it makes it soggy. So I would guess just add a little at a time until the crumbs will stick together in a ball form?
I think I've read another post where if the cake was moist enough, you wouldn't even need frosting. You just ball it up, freeze it so it'll keep its form and then dip in your chocolate/almond bark/candy coating, etc.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 14

Yep--just mix in barely enough frosting to make the cake stick together in a ball. Depending on how much cake scraps you have, you might not need much. I blop it in by the heaping spoonful then mix & add a little more if needed.

I made a batch over the weekend w/chocolate cake & crunchy peanut butter instead of frosting. They were tasty but a little more fragile than the frosting ones.

Once they are frozen, you can pop them in zippie bags and stash them in the freezer until you are ready to dip. I'm pulling some of last week's stash out to dip for an event tomorrow.

Kristy

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 14

mmmm I bet the peanutbutter was delicious!

KJ62798 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by katibeth88

mmmm I bet the peanutbutter was delicious!

Oh yeah--controlled substance good!

Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 14

to sum it up: just take your cake scraps and mash them up into crumbs. mix your favorite icing, make balls out of them, freeze them and dip them in melted chocolate. finally, decorate as you wish icon_biggrin.gif

hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 14

I use a ratio of 3:1 crumbs:frosting. So, if I have 600g of cake, I use 200g of frosting. I mix it all up in the mixer until you can no longer discern the crumbs from the frosting. I make each cake truffle 20g before dipping. I like round numbers icon_biggrin.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:14am
post #8 of 14

I mix mine with whatever liqueur I have on hand.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:48am
post #9 of 14

I always freeze my cake scraps to make cake balls later. After I unthaw the scraps, I crumble them up. For chocolate cake scraps, I add just enough Hershey's chocolate syrup to make them stick together. You can use other ice cream syrups such as butterscotch or caramel or a little flavored coffee creamer. I have used leftover icing but find it makes them a little too dense for my preference.

Lakelover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lakelover Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:30am
post #10 of 14

Great ideas! I now have an additional project this weekend icon_smile.gif

cha-cha-cha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cha-cha-cha Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 14

ALL SUCH GREAT IDEAS!!! THANKS -YOU! I will probably be making a cake next weekend so I can give the suggestions a try. I never even thought to add liquor or syrup instead of just icing!!!

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 14

I see people make cake pops this always intrigued me. Do you use the scraps for these as well and how would you secure the lollipop sticks in the cake balls??

KJ62798 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

I see people make cake pops this always intrigued me. Do you use the scraps for these as well and how would you secure the lollipop sticks in the cake balls??

Cake pops are the same process. Once the balls are rolled & at least partially frozen, dip the end of the lollipop stick in melted candy melt and stick it into the ball. Use a styrofoam brick to hold the sticks upright & put them back in the freezer. Once everything is frozen solid, you can dip in the coating.

HTH
Kristy

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 14

I have yet to try these...they look super easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%