Holiday Candy Exchange 2010

Sugar Work By Melvira Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 12:01am by hellie0h

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:40pm
post #61 of 126

I was thinking about the Triple Threat, too, but there's no reason why you can't spread the layers the opposite order - caramel first, cooled to room temp, then marshmallow, then dip in the chocolate.

And Mel, I gave thought to the MM Creme vs MM too, as I prefer the texture of MM to the creme.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:43pm
post #62 of 126

Oh well there ya go icon_smile.gif
How are you Theresa ?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:10pm
post #63 of 126

I'm good. And you?

You have me thinking about marshmallow, now. I'm wondering if Martha's recipe for Marshmallow for Piping would work for making chocolate-covered marshmallow bonbons. I saw them use it on a wedding cake, and it seems to have held it's shape pretty well.

MM 4 Piping recipe -

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/marshmallow-for-piping

Chrysanthemum cake it was used on -

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/meringue-cakes-chrysanthemum-cake

What do you all think? Kind of like a mallowmar without the cookie. Use a bonbon mold painted with the chocolate shell, then pipe in the MM, then close with more chocolate. You could even add some chocolate chips or chopped candied fruit or nuts to the MM before piping.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #64 of 126

Uuuuuhhhhhhhhh uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh... (rough translation: Yes please, and make me some!)

You could certainly change the order, but there is something I like about the marshmallowy part being in the middle... almost like a filling. It makes it more like a candy bar... nougaty stuff on bottom, caramel on top of that. But, here's a thought... put your fudge in the pan, spread the marshmallow, whichever version you use, then take a pan of the same size, spray liberally with Pam (butter flavor works best, doesn't affect the caramel flavor) pour out the caramel. Let is set until it is somewhat set up, then either invert that pan over the top of the marshmallow, or slide it out onto the top. If you let it set up pretty well, (the caramel I mean) you can easily slide it out onto a cutting board to cut up, no reason you couldn't just slide it onto the marshmallow.

The only reason I thought I might prefer the marshmallow to the creme... I was worried that when you bit into it the creme would goosh out the sides and make a sticky mess. Now, normally that would be just fine for me... but if we're at someone else's house celebrating, I don't want to take something that's going to end up making a big mess for them, ya know? I'm torn. I think the only acceptable answer is to make both. Hehehe. Then I have one to take, one to keep. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:35pm
post #65 of 126

I'm fine Theresa ,thanks!

We have a blizzard going on here though!

I have a better idea Mel ..You make it both ways and let us know what works best > icon_smile.gif)))

Melvira Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:49pm
post #66 of 126

fiddle, I'll make both and send you a sample of each! That way we can figure it out together. (I'm not gonna be the only one getting fat!) hehehe.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #67 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Ok, here's a general question about making the "Triple Threat"... I want to make it for a family gathering next weekend. Do you guys think I should make home made marshmallow CREME for the middle layer, or home made marshmallow? The creme would be stickier, softer, etc. The marshmallow would be firmer, probably thicker. I know the recipe says creme, I was just curious what you guys thought.

I think you should try both!! However as Fiddlesticks said it will be hard to spread the caramel over the marshmallow. Can the caramel be cooked to a lower temp and drizzled over the marshmallow? Perhaps reverse the order and pour out the caramel first, then spread out the fudge, then marshmallow/ cream.

Melvira Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 8:27pm
post #68 of 126

Here was my suggestion. Softer caramel would most likely be a bigger mess... but not necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You could certainly change the order, but there is something I like about the marshmallowy part being in the middle... almost like a filling. It makes it more like a candy bar... nougaty stuff on bottom, caramel on top of that. But, here's a thought... put your fudge in the pan, spread the marshmallow, whichever version you use, then take a pan of the same size, spray liberally with Pam (butter flavor works best, doesn't affect the caramel flavor) pour out the caramel. Let is set until it is somewhat set up, then either invert that pan over the top of the marshmallow, or slide it out onto the top. If you let it set up pretty well, (the caramel I mean) you can easily slide it out onto a cutting board to cut up, no reason you couldn't just slide it onto the marshmallow.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:44am
post #69 of 126

I took a look, and didn't see Butter Mints or Cream Cheese (Wedding) Mints on there...
Did I just overlook them?
We always have them at Christmas.

And does anyone know if the packages of Butter Mints you buy have any flavoring in them?
I haven't had them in a couple decades, but don't remember flavoring just sort of buttery.

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #70 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I took a look, and didn't see Butter Mints or Cream Cheese (Wedding) Mints on there...
Did I just overlook them?
We always have them at Christmas.

And does anyone know if the packages of Butter Mints you buy have any flavoring in them?
I haven't had them in a couple decades, but don't remember flavoring just sort of buttery.

Oh, I LOVE those cream cheese wedding mints! I can't make them... it's dangerous! icon_wink.gif I do not think we have that recipe on there, though there is one where you make the basic mint mixture, roll in balls, then dip in coating. Do you have a traditional recipe you'd like to add?

As for the pastel butter mints you can buy... you mean the slightly crunchy ones, right? They are just a buttery mint flavor. But they really melt on your tongue. I love those darn things!!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:34pm
post #71 of 126

Love cream cheese mints!!!! I am seriously thinking about making them for Christmas this year. Better Homes and Gardens has the recipe in their cookbook and I am sure you can google the recipe online.

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #72 of 126

Here is the (very) basic recipe I used for my wedding back in the day... does anyone have any secret ingredients or techniques to make them even better? (Is that possible? Hehehe)

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (2 lb) package powdered sugar
10 -11 drops peppermint extract (scant 1/4 tsp)
food coloring (optional)
granulated sugar (for rolling) Change

Mix all ingredients except granulated sugar until well incorporated. Remove from bowl and knead as needed to get it smooth. Break off small pieces of dough and roll into balls. Dip in sugar and press into molds or flatten slightly and lay on cookie sheet to dry.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:54pm
post #73 of 126

Hey Mel, I hope you added that to the google doc! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:56pm
post #74 of 126

BTW, I've seen some recipes that add a little butter to them, but I can't remember if I've tried that! Does anyone have an opinion about which is better or why?

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #75 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Hey Mel, I hope you added that to the google doc! icon_biggrin.gif

I am absolutely going to add it, I just want to get some feedback from others on whether they prefer this recipe or the kind with a little butter. Well, I'll go ahead and add it now, then if anyone wants to add another version, we can add that too! Nothing wrong with more than one version of something, right? thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:03pm
post #76 of 126

I have the recipe, thanks (I'm making some this morning). I just noticed there didn't seem to be any on the document.
It's just the one my mom made back in the 1940s...yeesh! She made the same darn recipe for 70 years?! She died last year, so they are being made by me from now on. I added the measurements, Mom was a 'put it in until it's right' cook.
Vera's Butter Mints
1 box powdered sugar (4 cups)
1/2 stick margarine or butter (1/4 c.)
Pinch salt
Evaporated milk
peppermint *
Mix powdered sugar, margarine, and salt. Add evaporated milk as needed to make consistency of Playdough tm
Then roll into thin logs and slice. Let dry on one side to form a crust, then flip to dry the other side.
You can make patties and dip in chocolate for peppermint patties if you like.
* I make them as strong as Altoids tm.

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:08pm
post #77 of 126

Ok, awesome! I have added both versions to the doc. 7yyrt, I love that you picked up where your mom left off and continue the family tradition. I am always looking to start traditions, and carry on with any I can remember because we didn't have many of those while I was growing up. I love that you're keeping your mom with you!!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:35pm
post #78 of 126

I don't have a candy recipe, just a little story about being fat. This is a true story that was in a newspaper many, many years ago. A man was in the North Woods (not sure where they are) and was mauled by a bear. It took over 1000 stitches but he lived because he was overweight (nice way of saying fat). I look at it this way, if I ever meet a bear I know I'm gonna live!!! So for all you skinny people, stay out of the woods. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
evelyn

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:44pm
post #79 of 126

Muahahahahahahahahahaha! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Oh, that was awesome. I could kick a bears @ss! icon_razz.gif Well, if he was of the 'stuffed' variety. And then I'd just squeeze him and kiss him til his little button eyes pop off!

aquamom Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:00pm
post #80 of 126

Help...

Would love to make the cream cheese mints ahead of time. Trickey situation we will be traveling. Do you think I could keep them in a cooler. It would need to keep at least 10 hours ( just to be generous).

Also with the Vera's mints do they need to be refrigerated?

Thanks for the help. Love this thread!!!

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:14pm
post #81 of 126

You could certainly put them in a cooler with a little ice pack and they should be fine. At a wedding they sit out at room temp for hours before being eaten. thumbs_up.gif

aquamom Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm
post #82 of 126

Thanks...they might bring back a lot of memories for a few relatives icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:26pm
post #83 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

I don't have a candy recipe, just a little story about being fat. This is a true story that was in a newspaper many, many years ago. A man was in the North Woods (not sure where they are) and was mauled by a bear. It took over 1000 stitches but he lived because he was overweight (nice way of saying fat). I look at it this way, if I ever meet a bear I know I'm gonna live!!! So for all you skinny people, stay out of the woods. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
evelyn

You know it's funny, if I could come back as any animal, I would want to be a bear. Why? A bear's life consists of A) Eating and B) Sleeping. icon_biggrin.gif When a bear gets mad -- PEOPLE TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY!! icon_biggrin.gif A bear can gain weight and it's A GOOD, HEALTHY THING! icon_biggrin.gif And finally, a bear NEVER has to shave her legs!! icon_lol.gif Yep, I definitely want to come back as a bear! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:49pm
post #84 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

Thanks...they might bring back a lot of memories for a few relatives icon_smile.gif

Oh, they will be thrilled to see them! How sweet of you!!

Bob - sign me up! I wanna be a bear too! Of course, with my luck, I'd end up riding a tiny tricycle in some low budget circus. icon_cry.gif I don't WANNA wear that stupid bow-tie!!!

7yyrt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:49pm
post #85 of 126

I don't mind shaving my legs, BWB... it's the underarms that have never been comfortable to me.
I think I'd like to be a free-range chicken.
-
Mom used to just keep the mints in a tin on a shelf.

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:50pm
post #86 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I don't mind shaving my legs, BWB... it's the underarms that have never been comfortable to me.
I think I'd like to be a free-range chicken.
-
Mom used to just keep the mints in a tin on a shelf.

A free range chicken??? icon_eek.gif Then people would kill you and eat you! icon_cool.gif

7yyrt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:42pm
post #87 of 126

Not mine, they die of old age.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:03pm
post #88 of 126

bobwonderbuns, don't forget, bears get to sleep all winter......

Melvira Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #89 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmycat

Oh yah!!! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:20pm
post #90 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmycat

Yeah baby! thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%