Scalloped Fondant Overlay On A Cake

Decorating By kimma1299 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm by sweetcakes

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 3

I have seen what looks like a scalloped table cloth on many CC cakes. I would like to try to make one for a Strawberry Shortcake cake I am doing for my daughter this weekend. My question is how do you get it on there without the excess you get when covering a whole cake in fondant? DOes that make sense? I know this sounds like a silly question, but Iam new to this and really only do cakes for family and friends. Thanks for the help.

2 replies
cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 3

I cut mine to size before I lay them on the cake if you want the table cloth look or apply the fondant and trim off if you want the two-toned look.

For the table cloth look I ususally cut the circle 2" larger then the cake, the easiest way to do this is to trace a cake board.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 3

i agree, roll out your fondant, lay the cake pan or the same size cake board on top then cut the fondant 2" or so away, in a wavy pattern if you like, place it on the cake and you may need to trim with an exacto knife if its too long, smooth against cake then extrude a snake of fondant to trim the cut edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%