Fondant And Cracking

Decorating By KimmyKatCakes Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 7:57pm by 03FLSTF

KimmyKatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKatCakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:21am
post #1 of 5

I used to make my own MMF from a recipe that used water, Marshmallows and powdered sugar. It was really time consuming to make (well longer than just opening up a bucket, LOL) So I tried Satin Ice brand and it is not really any better.It tends to crack, even while using Crisco to help add moisture.

Can anyone tell me a secret to smooth fondant? (we just did a lady bug cake with Satin Ice in my photos and the grass started cracking)I managed to use some buttercream to "close" off the cracks, but if I can make it not happen, that would be even better.

Please share with me your brands and tricks you have used, so hubby will be happy that I am not yelling at my fondant anymore, LOL icon_eek.gif

4 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 5

Personally I am not a fan of Satin Ice, It gives me a lot of trouble too. If I am not using MMF I like to use Wilton- Its really firm but I never have troble with cracking when I use it. There was an earlier thread about Satin Ice and the reviews were mixed, some peole had no problems with it but some (myself) included have trouble with it. Someone in that thread suggested kneeding the satin ice more.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 5

I used Satin Ice once and I got hair line cracks all over the cake with both the Chocolate and red tubs...never using it again! I'm a big fan of MMF and love the way it works and tastes. I make it so often that it's just part of the whole process of cake making.

I've got my list of tips to making and using MMF on my blog. I've never had problems with it cracking or tearing...yet =)

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

Try Fondarific. It doesn't tear or get alligator skin and can be rolled extremely thin. The only way I could ever get Satin Ice to look good is to roll on a mat using Crisco but I hated doing that, such a pain.

Wilton doesn't taste good. Fondarific is awesome to work with and tastes great!

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 5

Climate affects fondant, therefore the best product and tips for someone in Florida may not be the best for someone in Arizona. Unable to tell OPs geographic (i.e., climate) location icon_confused.gif .

I live in a very dry climate and find that MMF works best for me. If its a particularly dry day (e.g. 14% humidity), I work in extra shortening as needed after the fondant has rested at least 6 hours, and never have a problem with cracks. I like Satin Ice for decorations and accents; however, it cracks like crazy when I apply it to a cake.

JMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%