Cupcake Newbie Questions

Baking By breezer28 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 8:28pm by imagenthatnj

breezer28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breezer28 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hi ladies--and gentlemen too icon_smile.gif

I've recently started decorating and baking and I'm loving it.

Cupcakes are my latest obsession. I just had a few questions, to help my cupcakes go from ordinary to a more professional look.

1) What type of cupcake pan do you use? I've been using just the standard 12 cupcake/muffin pan that I've always had, but I'm not satisified with the size of the cupcakes. I've seen "jumbo" cupcake pans in stores, but those are too big for what I'm imagining. Is there a size typically used somewhere between regular and jumbo? (I hope this makes sense!)

2) What tip would you use to create the biggest, smooth icing swirl possible? I want just a big, round tip. Any recommendations?

3) (And I hope this one doesn't sound silly.) How do you get the cupcakes to rise/mound out of the pan? Mine have been flat too often. Is it the amount of batter I'm putting in, something about the recipe, etc.? I'd love any impressions just from the little bit of description I've posted here.

Thanks for any and all replies! The tips mean a lot!

4 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:55am
post #2 of 5

As far as question #2, a coupler with no tip (the kind of coupler that doesn't have the notch cut out) makes a good, large swirl. I can't help you with #1 or 3 but I know the topics have come up. If you google your desired topic followed by cake central lots of good threads will come up. For example, type into google....cupcake sizes cake central.... and several appropriate threads come up that hopefully will help you.

Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 5

with regards to number 3: i can tell you the two ways that have worked for me:
1. preheat the oven at 400 degrees and then, place your cupcake tray inside. within 5 minutes, bring the heat down to 325 degrees and let it bake. i have no idea why it works but somehow it does and you end up with a dome.
2. i don't cream the butter and sugar for my cupcakes. i just mix all the ingredients and pour it into cupcake liners. that has worked for me too.

hope this helps icon_smile.gif

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 5

i use the 1M tip and it gets me a big swirl icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%