Black And Red Fondant

Baking By donna4646 Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 3:23pm by JPMitchell

donna4646 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donna4646 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:17am
post #1 of 5

looking for the best way to get a true red and black fondant thanks to anyone that can help.

4 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 5

To make a small amount of red fondant (no more than a lb.) I start with egg yellow, then add super red by Americolor.

For black I start with chocolate fondant, add super black, then a little violet.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 5

I need to make rich deep red fondant/gumpaste, what colors do you suggest using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

To make a small amount of red fondant (no more than a lb.) I start with egg yellow, then add super red by Americolor.

For black I start with chocolate fondant, add super black, then a little violet.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 5

I buy Satin Ice.

I usually make MMF, but for those two colors in particular, I could never get the true color I wanted, no matter what I mixed, so those are the only two colors I buy. My kids' Jr. High colors are red and black, so I have used it quite a bit for their school things.

JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, definitely buy your black and red fondant precolored!! It is soooo hard to get a true MMF black or red and if you get it close it ruins the consistency of your fondant icon_sad.gif. If you have a michael's close by, most of their stores sell precolored fondant and you can get it quick if your in a hurry. OR your other option would be to try your hand at airbrushing, but you won't get as nice of a finish with precolored fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%